Brookes Saddles and Saddles in general....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The tops of Brooks leather saddles are sealed, so shouldn't stain trousers.

Proofide is supposed to be applied to the underside of the saddle, although you can put a tiny bit on the top, and polish it off.

But because of the seal, all you are really doing is using the polishing cloth to remove what you just applied.

https://www.purecycles.com/blogs/bicycle-news/proofide-your-brooks
They've obviously never seen an old Brooks suck Proofide into the top, best seen on a warm sunny day. :becool:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They've obviously never seen an old Brooks suck Proofide into the top, best seen on a warm sunny day. :becool:

Nothing to stop you using Proofide, polish, dubbin, or any other leather preparation on a dried out old saddle, but if done properly it won't stain trousers.

Most jodhpurs are beige, but you never see a horse rider with a grease stained arse.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Proofide was originally applied just to the top. When Brooks realised people were riding in the rain without mudguards, they changed the advice to include Proofiding the bottom too. The current advice on their website is "Apply a little of this leather saddle cream to the finished side of the leather. Allow to permeate until dry and then polish off. Also apply Proofide to the underside of the saddle, but leave this coating on to protect against dirt and moisture."

12boy

Guru
I've always worn bike pants or shorts to work and changed into work pants. Too many ways to get the work ones dirty or damaged. The bike ones I use have a gusset so to avoid grinding a seam into your nethers and are nylon, not spandex and dry very quickly. They have never been stained by the saddle.

hoopdriver

Guru
I’ve ridden on nothing but Brooks saddles for over 35 years. Can’t imagine using any other. Saddles of course are highly personal but these work wonderfully for me. Comfort aside, they really don’t take much maintenance and they last forever

Not a clue, maybe I’m not as old as you, cars have been plentiful through my lifetime. :whistle:

However, OP wears chinos, some of which may be pale coloured, he may not want his new non colourfast brooks saddle getting soaked, leaking dye and staining the seat of his pale chinos?
I am not that old Vickster but I have seen old photos and film of large numbers of factory workers cycling into the factory gates.
Pale coloured chinos, maybe that is why black is the most common colour for knicks plus males find the black does not show the grease stains when they wipe their hands down the sides after on road repairs!
BTW, is there a non American word for chinos?

Mike

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am not that old Vickster but I have seen old photos and film of large numbers of factory workers cycling into the factory gates.
Pale coloured chinos, maybe that is why black is the most common colour for knicks plus males find the black does not show the grease stains when they wipe their hands down the sides after on road repairs!

Mike
Slacks

Inusuit

Khakis?

OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular

Mike
maybe I should have used the word 'trousers' :notworthy:

Proofide was originally applied just to the top. When Brooks realised people were riding in the rain without mudguards, they changed the advice to include Proofiding the bottom too. The current advice on their website is "Apply a little of this leather saddle cream to the finished side of the leather. Allow to permeate until dry and then polish off. Also apply Proofide to the underside of the saddle, but leave this coating on to protect against dirt and moisture."
My father’s Champ. Narrow, 1936 vintage had a thick canvas(?) protector fitted to the underside. It lasted until the 90s, when the typical split appeared in the nose.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not Louis Vitton saddle cover then?
No I own a couple of these and they're excellent, however does the logo need to be quite so prominent.

1602708723012.png

Top Bottom