BRVR - Goats League - Climb 8- Port d'Envalira, Andorra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
@SmP-62 Some impressive times. Definitely not in the same league as you there. Hope you enjoy the trip to the States. You'll have to tell us how the real thing compares to a turbo trainer when you get back.

SmP-62

@SmP-62 Some impressive times. Definitely not in the same league as you there. Hope you enjoy the trip to the States. You'll have to tell us how the real thing compares to a turbo trainer when you get back.
Well, last year I have done all my Pyrenees and Ventoux rides before on Tacx NEO (brutally correct on power reading, much lower reading -and slower times- as using for example Tacx iGenius, but equal to SRM). It is at least 95% genuine feeling, only on 2000+ meters you can add one cassette cog on (thinner air). After I returned home, I have done all rides again on trainer, it was interresting, how much more you see on videos.

Last edited:

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
Well, last year I have done all my Pyreenees and Ventoux rides before on Tacx NEO (brutally correct on power reading, much lower reading -and slower times- as using for example Tacx iGenius, but equal to SRM). It is at least 95% genuine feeling, only on 2000+ meters you can add one cassette cog on (thinner air). After I returned home, I have done all rides again on trainer, it was interresting, how much more you see on videos.
That's a good bit of feedback. Thank you. Having only ever ridden locally at, more or less, sea level I can't begin to understand the effect of altitude and how it would affect your ride.

SmP-62

Looking on the Goats Challenge page on the BigRing site said:
@SmP-62[/USER] is Smiljian Pavisic on BRVR.

Sorry guys, have not seeing it before ... to write also the BRVR name ....

My (and also BRVR) name is Smiljan Pavisic, I'm 56 years old, after long long non-sport years I start cycling again in 2014.

martin22

If you reffering on me .... James Canyon 34:47/3.5.2018, Coll d'Ordino 26:10/8.5.2018 ... went to easy on the descent, maybe I do it again

Sorry! When they all suddenly appeared this morning I thought someone was just having making up the times :shy:

Good effort with those times and welcome to the league ^_^

OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
To be honest, the penalty is much to hard and impossible to catch up ... so suggestion .... 10%+ on riders time of 'not in time window' ride will be also hard, but productive ... to try to catch up. The slowest ride now is cca 2-3times the best time +10% .... there is no way to neutralize that.
The penalty is hard, and is there for a reason. However, it does not take into account new members to the forum who would like to take part in the league ... BUT for an attempt to count in such a case it must be ridden after the user has joined the forum ... Even if the original attempt was within the time frame the ride was 'open' and 'eligible'.

What do people think? That fair enough??

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
The penalty is hard, and is there for a reason. However, it does not take into account new members to the forum who would like to take part in the league ... BUT for an attempt to count in such a case it must be ridden after the user has joined the forum ... Even if the original attempt was within the time frame the ride was 'open' and 'eligible'.

Personally I think if the rides are within the time frame they should count regardless of when the member joined the forum. Only the closed rides should incur the penalty. Rides completed before they are announced, like I did with Flagstaff, should be ridden again. Thoughts?

SmP-62

In beginning of may I find out about this challenge on BRVR Strava post from 25.4. +link to BRVR site .... 2018 BigRingVR Mountain Goats League. Complete all rides between March 20 and Dec 31 to complete the challenge. .... with list of rides +the new one will be added each week ... no ifs or buts of timing, open or closed rides, etc .... nice rides, only climbs, flexible timing ... just right for me.

Until then I allready done few of the listed rides, only Magnolia was done before March 20.. So in few days I finished the missing ones (James Canyon, Flagstaff), redone the rides I was done at recovery pace as I was seek (Arcalis, Coll d'Ordino, Port de Cabus) and today the 'to early' Magnolia again. All this rides are now listed on the BRVR Moutain Goats Challenge leaderboard -8 rides, 100% finished.

But the original challenge was unknown to me until yesterday, when I also see the leaderboard (and don't understand it ... until today). And today, as I join this forum, I find out of closing the rides after some time and penalty for riding it afterwards. After Aleman explain the rules, there is no ride valid if ridden before introduction and if done before joining the forum.

Meening ... I do not have any official in time finished ride here. Magnolia, done today after joining in, is also out, because it is allready closed.

It is my fault, to join in to late. What can I do?

Even if I rerun all the rides with potentionaly best times, the penaltys are much to hard to make sense of rerun on challenge level. (even +10% on my time is hard to neutralize on challenge level, but can be acceptable).

So .... The original leaderboard will not look nice to me (with a block of rosa colored fields on the right side and unusual total time), but I will continue to ride this challenge.

Last edited:

ibooij

Über Member
Personally, I don't care if anyone joins late. Of course, there are rules, but for me this league is for fun and for having a good challenge for myself.

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
38:27. Well that nearly emptied the tank, I think @SmP-62:notworthy: has inspired me to up my game and try a bit harder. To continue the car analogy for the last few hundred metres I was running on fumes, if this is @ibooij's idea of fun I'd hate to find out what he gets up to when he's in a mood:ohmy:

Regards

Dave

ETA

I must go around with my eyes shut but when did @Aleman add the "Climb Stats" tab?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aleman

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I've had a rethink, and agree with Dave, Just about to set off on another boring ride here in Mallorca so will clarify when (If) I return ... I may be some time :eek::eek:

Top Bottom