BSA for £1.70

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm guessing this is the steerer lock:

IMG_20151213_110813.jpg

That's neat! Do you have the key?

@Illaveago ....w.i.p....I'm sure a few rides will see them up & down the bars like a fiddler's elbow :smile:

Nice looking bike. As swee'pea99 says do you have the key? If not it looks like a single edged key possibly FS or FP not sure without a rummage through my boxes. I was wondering if there was a hole in the steerer tube for it to lock into. My local shoe repairer/ key chap has bunches of keys you may be able to find one where you are if you haven't got one.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Cheers guys :smile: Its an interesting talking point , but I think it was a bit of an ugly gimmick ...Maybe it worked as an anti theft device at the time, but I don't think I would trust leaving a bike outside a shop nowadays with just the forks locked & not chained to something! (Even tho i dont think the local hoodies would be in the slightest bit interested in knicking it...) Different times in those days...

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
It is a Lucas, don't know how old tho... It still has original glass with the transfer on, but the case is pretty rusty inside & out. I've not tried to get it working yet, It rattles like a b*tch tbh when your riding & its so big it only just clears the spokes! but I just liked the air raid searchlight look.

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
IMG_20160228_193032.jpg
Had a go at the Terrys seat ....the old vinyl cover was hanging off, full of holes, rips & tears with damp horsehair hanging out, so I figured I had nothing to lose... I stripped an old gel type saddle of its cover & hand stitched it onto the old horsehair padding (after drying it out on the radiator) I wanted a Brooke's flyer type shape & show some of the seat skeleton so it would look a bit more 'sporty' so I trimmed it to suit & managed to even stitch the label panel back on at the rear....not to everyone's taste (I'm sure!) & View attachment 120252 a lot more work than i expected, I suppose I could have bought a replacement but I've got something unique & just what I wanted... I'm extremely chuffed at how its turned out :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
Tried some whitewalls on today, just 'cos I had some... & replaced the lovely (but rattly with rotten innards) Lucas light with a nos Miller that works -err, just cos I had one...!
This bike seems to have captured my imagination more than any other I've owned for some reason, when god knows I have loads to do on my other bikes ...will I ever stop blydy
IMG_20160316_165233.jpg
fiddling with it??? Lol

Great find,but £1.70 seems like an odd price.
Did you haggle him down ?
:tongue::laugh:

Nice looking bike. As swee'pea99 says do you have the key? If not it looks like a single edged key possibly FS or FP not sure without a rummage through my boxes. I was wondering if there was a hole in the steerer tube for it to lock into. My local shoe repairer/ key chap has bunches of keys you may be able to find one where you are if you haven't got one.

Nice one @Illaveago :thumbsup:
Nice to know people go out their way for their fellow man.
A rare thing these days

OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
I've had a few little jollies out ...weather's still too nip for me tho...! Its one heavy mutha so its definitely more of a cruiser (which suits me I'm no Wiggins) one thing I'm proud of are the gears ...Although they worked perfectly ok when i bought it, I pulled the hub apart 'cos the oil cap was missing (so I wasn't sure just how much gunk had built up over the years) I cleaned & rebuilt it & now its the best AW I've ever had ..smooth as George Hamilton , virtually silent
Screenshot_2016-03-16-20-38-29.png
& the pedals stay in position when you're walking it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom