BT broadband offer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know when one of the discs goes down (like it's been knocked off the window sil by the cats and the plug has come off).

Get all sorts of issues (speed). Phoned BT once and they ran an analysis and said 'your lounge disc is off, low and behold, it had been knocked flying. Doh, didn't think to check.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Sorry I really am not trying to defend them I've had my share of arguments with Plusnet in the past, bearing in mind I still work for the guy who founded the company. However I've never had an issue getting through to their tech guys & once through they are normally very good, you just have to call the 0800 number & then put it on hands free for 40-50 minutes. In your situation you would have to be close to the phone point, have both routers powered up & an Ethernet cable available.
I know, I didn't mean to sound hostile, I'm not ^_^

I can't ring them during the week (cos obviously I'm working), and at weekends I can't get through, especially since Covid came along and they went to skeleton staff.

I also think I'm now paying too much for what I'm getting, land line, "unlimited calls" (which aren't), and dire broadband (but that's not entirely their fault as we are only "fibre to the exchange" at present; there's a box being configured between me and the exchange, but that's not up and running yet).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's not the internals of the house; if I'm on wifi, working, regardless of where I am sitting, and she walks in and her phone connects to the wifi network... Bang.
Don't know whether it would help with this (which sounds dead weird, TBH) but it might be worth trying a BT Home Hub, which can be easily bought from ebay for five or six quid (delivered) and are easy to set up & work really well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2 different wifi bands. If the second device doesn't want to use the same band as the one your device is using and usurps it, and your device can't work with the other band, then BANG!

You sometimes have to fiddle under the hood and rename the 5ghz band if the older machine doesn't want to play. Then the phone has a choice of network once you add the network to the phone.

E.g. MyWifi, needs renaming as the 2.4 leaving as MyWifi and the 5Ghz as MyWifi5 for example. Set the password the same, but get the phone and any other devices to look for that network as well.

Worth googling it. Not had to do it so far at my home but it's a common issue for older divices.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It won't be the problem in this case, but it might help somebody...

I happened to be visiting my sister once when she was having wifi problems. There were 4 of us using the wifi and every now and then the signal cut out. It finally dawned on me that it happened every time the landline phone rang. After that realisation, it didn't take long for me to work out that the problem was that cordless phone base station was next to the router and the 2.4 GHz signals were grumpily trying to share the same channel. I moved the router to a different channel and all was well after that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I recognise the words you use but what they mean is something else... :wacko:
Archie speaks English and Russian.

Igor speaks Russian and Swedish.

Archie is discussing Moscow Nights with Igor in Russian when Sven walks in.

Sven is one of the 10% of Swedish men who does not speak English (or Russian)! Igor is happy to see his Scandinavian pal and immediately starts nattering away in Svenska about the 3rd series of Bron!

Archie feels left out and very miffed... :laugh:

I also have 3 mesh discs to improve wife out to my garage
Vaairy interestink..

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
@Dec66 , what's a mesh disc and how do they work?

Edit: just googled and found two prices £199 and £72!! Do the £72 ones works as well, if so who'd buy the £199 ones and why?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-everywhere-complete/dp/B01NBMMVG7

I have a Mesh set up, bought from PC World (Tenda, it has three units, which give me wifi throughout the house including Conservatory and a large garden). It was truly "plug and play", and cost about £60-£70. Very impressed with it. We are with Talktalk for BB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom