BT phone line costs and broadband

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenz

Has anyone got their home phone landline thru anyone else other than BT and a broadband service down it as well...
I am sinking feeling that I am just a sucker for paying almost £500 quid a year to BT for something that to be honest is very useful but doesnt get used that much to warrant that sort of annual cost.
Can almost imagine the bosses of these going 'ching ching' every second as the money rolls in from idiots like me.....:smile::blush::smile::blush::smile:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Do you know the approx breakdown for line rental/phonecalls/broadband ?

OP
OP
R

Ravenz

yeah.. tooo much on every count..lol the best solution for us.. is broadband only.. dont need a landline at all.. not in this day and age.. but the drawback is .. location copper only .. no cable or hifalutin fibre :-(

With the cost of rental and making sod all calls it is still £60 per 1/4 as a standing charge almost...just for the pleasure of having that wire into the house.

simonali

Guru
I use BT coz they're the most reliable provider. Everyone I know who doesn't use cable has problems. Sky, Orange, O2 and Talk talk are just some of the companies I've heard people moaning about.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ravenz said:
yeah.. tooo much on every count..lol the best solution for us.. is broadband only.. dont need a landline at all.. not in this day and age.. but the drawback is .. location copper only .. no cable or hifalutin fibre :-(

With the cost of rental and making sod all calls it is still £60 per 1/4 as a standing charge almost...just for the pleasure of having that wire into the house.

Cable. Bleeding hell! There's aluminium down here you don't know how lucky you are ;). Which brings me to what I was going to say anyway. If you are serious about BT I would wait until you've been WBCed.

Cranky

Ravenz said:
Has anyone got their home phone landline thru anyone else other than BT and a broadband service down it as well...
I am sinking feeling that I am just a sucker for paying almost £500 quid a year to BT for something that to be honest is very useful but doesnt get used that much to warrant that sort of annual cost.
Can almost imagine the bosses of these going 'ching ching' every second as the money rolls in from idiots like me.....:biggrin::blush:;):blush::blush:

I'm curious about your £500 per year. I pay a monthly direct debit to BT - Broadband Option 1, line rental, calls (which, granted, are few) and VAT comes to about £30 per month total, £360 per year. I know the Broadband charge is £15pm.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Cranky said:
I'm curious about your £500 per year. I pay a monthly direct debit to BT - Broadband Option 1, line rental, calls (which, granted, are few) and VAT comes to about £30 per month total, £360 per year. I know the Broadband charge is £15pm.
+1. I also agree with the earlier poster who said it's a false economy to go with any other provider. BT provide a reliable service and proper backup if there's a problem. They're not perfect, but there's no waiting on a premium rate line for 20 minutes or any of that ^&$^&$$&^.

simoncc

I've gone onto Virgin cable for phone and broadband for £18.50 per month including free evening and weekend calls. My next door neighbour has had them for 2 years without any trouble so I thought I'd take a chance. If you um and ah a bit Virgin drop the £30 one off fee.

As a low user of my home phone line I was a bit miffed at paying £11 per month to BT for the line.

domd1979

Veteran
I'm on Virgin Media 3 for £30 - phone, 512k broadband, and basic digital telly. Pay a few quid extra on top of that for free evening/weekend calls. Generally works fine, had a broadband fault a while back that took a couple of calls to sort out but no great drama. You have to phone a premium rate number to get broadband faults sorted, but if its their problem, the call cost is refunded straight back. BT do strike me as expensive, and I know a few people who've done their nut trying to get them to sort a problem.

jay clock

Massive member
My daughter has a basic line rental with free evening and weekend calls (landlines) for £10.50 a mth with BT. She then has broadband with o2 for £7.50 a mth 18 x12 = £216 per annum. The o2 is cheaper than usual as her flatmate has an o2 mobile, but you can get any PAYG sim card from them, then get the same deal

Flyingfox

Cranky said:

Mines around the same, I pay £25.00 a month with BT for line & broadband. I use my mobile to make any phone calls.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I pay £10 per month BT line rental, and about £26 per month for 8mg broadband and 'calls' with AOL...... got the free laptop though which has been good this last year. Just another year then I'll see what's on offer again. Was paying normal basic BT of £20 per month incl calls plus £25 per month for Pipex....ouch - no TV.

I thought the Sky deals were reasonable...my folks, and both sisters have it !

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
fossyant said:
I pay £10 per month BT line rental, and about £26 per month for 8mg broadband and 'calls' with AOL...... got the free laptop though which has been good this last year. Just another year then I'll see what's on offer again. Was paying normal basic BT of £20 per month incl calls plus £25 per month for Pipex....ouch - no TV.

I thought the Sky deals were reasonable...my folks, and both sisters have it !

The Sky prices are changing in March.

Your exchange may be WBC enabled soon if it hasn't already.

Top Bottom