B'Twin Triban 3 - Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
At the moment commuting on my Specialized Sirrus Elite (about 18 miles a day round trip). Have been hankering for a road bike for ages but haven't been able to find one in the right price bracket i.e. cheap. Recently saw an article in a cycling magazine that reviewed the B'Twin Triban 3 and gave it a really good review. For the price it seems like a fantastic buy but would like to know people's opinions before I decide.
Russ
Also any suggestions on sizing? I'm 5'8" (inside leg 30")

Fubar

Guru
Hi, I'm a Triban 3 owner and convert, my first road bike so was not sure what to expect but I absolutely love mine - was looking for ages before finding the T3, extremely good bike for the price. Probably ideal as an entry level road bike, I'm sure some more experienced would want better spec - the only thing I've changed is the pedals. I'm 5'5'' and have the 54? I think. Regards, Mark

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks Fubar,
Glad you're liking the bike. I keep looking and every time I look it seems like an even better deal!!! Still not sure about the sizing but might give them a call and see what they suggest :-)

Edwards80

Über Member
Deja Vu for many people reading this from me. . . but.

Awesome value for money. 4000+ happy miles on mine - not much else to say really :smile: Shame you can't try it for size - I'm 6 ft and have the 60cm.

lb81

Deja Vu for many people reading this from me. . . but.

Awesome value for money. 4000+ happy miles on mine - not much else to say really :smile: Shame you can't try it for size - I'm 6 ft and have the 60cm.

+1

I have done 1500 miles on mine since feb. Have changed saddle, stuck on the spds from my MTB and changed tyres but all out of preference rather than necessity. For the cash there is nothing else to touch it brand new IMO.

I too am 6ft and have the 60cm...

ulidia2012

Regular
Hi, im a returnee to cycling and bought a Triban 3, 2 weeks ago. Loving it so far. I am 5ft 10 and i have the 57 inch.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cyclingactive have a review , they say the triban 3 is the best bike you can buy for £300. good as bikes 2-3 times as much, nuff said i think .

defy-one

I'm off to the Reading branch to check this bike out. Very likely the bike will be coming home with me .... TBA

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They seem to come in a very nice range of sizes, might take my girlfriend to have a look at these. She wants a bike, but it is yet unknown how much she will cycle so if she likes the way this looks and if it fits, then she might do well picking one up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Triban 3 is a smashing bike for the money. I bought one for my son and he's delighted with it, it rides really well. I showed it to a roadie neighbour and challenged him to put a price on it and he reckoned £500. The paintwork is gorgeous and it's well built. The benefit of buying from Decathlon is that they don't mind you whizzing around on the bikes to check out the sizes.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
This morning I was still ummming and agghhhing. Finally decided that I wanted to go and have a look. The Decathlon store was in Nottingham (about and hour and a half) and so I persuaded my wife that she wanted to go to IKEA (next door). Just happened to put the bike rack in the boot...came home with it tonight! Looks fantastic, first ride was sweet, took off the naff lights and bell that came with it (but was pleasantly surprised that it came with lights even though I have better). Was a bit weird in terms of position so I either have to adjust over time or make adjustments to the setup (probably both!). But feel like a kid in a sweet shop...even asked the wife whether I should keep it stored in the house...just for tonight...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[quote="RussLunn, post: 1966220, member: 15424" . The Decathlon store was in Nottingham so I persuaded my wife that she wanted to go to IKEA (next door)....[/quote]

You have found out my secret for getting the wife to agree to a trip to that particular retail estate . i just have to convince her to let my get another bike but i reckon 4 might be pushing it :B).In all seriousness if i was in need of an entry level bike the triban 3 is where i would looking if i had the cash upfront.As it stands i am happy enough with the fleet and all i would change might be better wheels for the boardman.The next step for me to see any real improvement would be to spend about £1500 + which is not going to happen unless i suddenly find a wad of cash in the street or i can sell a kidney, trouble is my 5 year old probably has cystic dysplasia so i am hanging on to them both just in case he needs one.

colin w

Regular
Hi, I'm a Triban 3 owner and convert, my first road bike so was not sure what to expect but I absolutely love mine - was looking for ages before finding the T3, extremely good bike for the price. Probably ideal as an entry level road bike, I'm sure some more experienced would want better spec - the only thing I've changed is the pedals. I'm 5'5'' and have the 54? I think. Regards, Mark
hi fubar im from around same area and thinking of getting the BTwin triban 3 do you still love this bike any reviews[ would like to know what its like on climbs] would be very appreciated mate.....colin fife.ps 5ft 4 and have hybrid but really like the look of this road bike and seen great review in august 2012 magazine cycling active[page58]

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi,
I have just got my Triban and must say it is even better in the flesh than on the Decathlon website. I am very impressed with the finish and very pleased that it really was an out of the box and ride cycle. The box it came in was huge, because the bike is fully constructed with only the handlebars to turn round and tighten.....using the not too bad little multi tool supplied! Brakes and gears were perfect from the off and I took mine for a 22 mph spin averaging 15.5 mph ....which isn't too bad for for a fat wheezy middle aged bloke! I am 5ft 11 with a 29-30cm inside leg and went for the 54cm (wasn't sure whether to go for 57cm....but it was out of stock, and 54 is spot on for me.
Considering the aluminium frame and 23c tyres running at 100 psi the ride is not too harsh and the carbon fork definitely soaks up some of the lumps and bumps.
If you want an all out racer, you won't get one brand new for £300 (£315 delivered) you will struggle to find one 2nd hand on eBay too! If you want a reasonably light, reasonably specced, pleasant bicycle with scope for upgrading this is ideal.
So far all I have replaced is the pedals - because I like SPD's. The saddle may be next - although with my padded pants on it was reasonably comfortable over 22miles. There are mudguard eyes provided - but the clearance on the front fork would severely limit what you could fit.
For the money I agree with the Cycling Active review and think this is unbeatable value for money!

Top Bottom