Budget Increased!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

My Dad said he wouldn't mind spending an extra £100-£200 and get me something brand new. So that makes my budget £400 - £500, but I don't like taking libs, so I would like to keep the cost to around £400.

Which shops and brands should I be looking at if I'm looking to spend £400?

Cheers,
Sam

Garz

Squat Member
Brand new.. bike I take it?

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Well the person who owns it is 1" taller than me, so I'm hoping it would fit.

kyuss

Veteran
I agree with aJohnson. The weak pound has destroyed the bike industry a little and the bargains on new bikes that could be had this time last year don't exist. Brand new at £400-£500 you'd be very lucky to get a carbon fork and Sora groupset on a basic alu frame even if you got a good deal on an 09 bike. Nothing wrong with that of course, I spent the first 3 years of my road biking on such a machine and loved every second of it and if that's the route you'd prefer to take I'm sure I've a few suggestions.

But, there's never been a better time to buy second hand. For instance, someone on another forum I frequent picked up a Carrera Virago off ebay recently. Carbon frame and fork, a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra with about 100 miles on the clock for £550! A bit over your budget and bargains like that don't come about often, but a few weeks spent searching ebay or gumtree will come up with a few gems just like that within your budget every now and then.

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

I'm not really wanting to buy off ebay unless it's local, since even though they say "good condition" it doesn't really gaurantee anything.
I knew someone really didn't know what they were talking about when they said "It has break gears" (I knew what they meant but...)

Top Bottom