Budget lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbez

Hi guys,

I understand budget and good quality don't generally go in the same sentence, but can you give me some suggestions for a decent set of lights that I can put on my new bike.

I only intend to ride in the daylight, but obviously with the darker nights setting in, I wouldn't mind having a set on.

Budget is around 25-30. I don't mind buying used.

If you are after a set to be seen with that's a realistic budget these days, I quite like the price of the Smart sets on the Planet X site but if you are wanting a good front light to see with you'll need to up that budget a bit. I'm a typical Fifer so I've got lights to be seen :blush:

OP
OP
M

Mrbez

Thanks for the reply.

I don't intend to be able to see in the dark from my lights, but merely just to make myself more aware to drivers when I am cycling in the darker, overcast days.

Is it worth buying some like this, or saving and buying a set that would allow me to see where I am going? As surely in the future this is the route that I would want to take? If so, how much are these?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't intend to be able to see in the dark from my lights, but merely just to make myself more aware to drivers when I am cycling in the darker, overcast days.

Is it worth buying some like this, or saving and buying a set that would allow me to see where I am going? As surely in the future this is the route that I would want to take? If so, how much are these?

Thanks.
IMO with the reasonable price of LEDs, its best buying something just now and down the line upgrade if you feel the need. I think you are talking £80-£150 or more for a really good front light but you will know where you cycle or where and when you'd like to cycle whether or not you'd need something like that.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
nothing happens on either link !!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I didn't. For £5.60 I don't know how much I'd get stung.
Below a certain limit (£18 inc p+p last time I checked) there are no charges.

Above the limit, there should be duty + VAT on everything, and the delivery people often add a flat rate charge for processing the payment. If you guess duty at 5% and processing charge at £10 you won't be too far out.

Having said that, you often don't get charged. On small items from China/Hong Kong getting charged seems to be unusual. From the US, charges are more common.

No charges from the EU, of course.

tubbystar

Regular
Below a certain limit (£18 inc p+p last time I checked) there are no charges.

Above the limit, there should be duty + VAT on everything, and the delivery people often add a flat rate charge for processing the payment. If you guess duty at 5% and processing charge at £10 you won't be too far out.

Having said that, you often don't get charged. On small items from China/Hong Kong getting charged seems to be unusual. From the US, charges are more common.

No charges from the EU, of course.

Thats worth knowing, thanks.

calibanzwei

DX now have a UK warehouse, but they don't stock a wide range of stuff (yet, I hope).

There's a very valid thread on here somewhere on super-high lumen lights being used on the road - unnecessary for street use and if improperly used you run the real danger of blinding oncoming traffic. Best used on back/country roads.

I've got a set of these, but I've replaced the front light with one of these as several spills last winter broke it. Combined with one of these - front light and rear flashing red LED - and a high vis jacket. Flexible, be noticed and within budget :biggrin:

Top Bottom