BUG OUT,SURVIVAL Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

Don't you have the google?

Quite a lot, apparently http://ritcheylogic.com/commando-fat-bike-frameset-green
Thanks for the link, it's by no means a cheap bike but it looks like its worth every penny.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I met a bloke riding one of these last year.

IMG_1514.JPG

It looked like it might survive nuclear war.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

3760.jpg

10NORWAY1-master675.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ees-bikes-russia-bicycle-immigration-storskog

You can't walk across the russia/norway border. You need a vehicle. People were shipping BSOs by container to the border, they were then abandoned just on the other side.
The Stels mountain bike looks to be quite a popular make in places like Russia, China and Germany. Apparently they are quite a good make, shame to see so many bikes abandoned. The funny thing is the Norwegian police gather the bikes up on their side of the border and then give them to the refugees who are then told to cycle back into Russia. That must be a kick in the gonads, you cycle in on a top end mountain bike, get refused entry and are then handed a Chinese bike to cycle back into Russia.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The Stels mountain bike looks to be quite a popular make in places like Russia, China and Germany. Apparently they are quite a good make, shame to see so many bikes abandoned. The funny thing is the Norwegian police gather the bikes up on their side of the border and then give them to the refugees who are then told to cycle back into Russia. That must be a kick in the gonads, you cycle in on a top end mountain bike, get refused entry and are then handed a Chinese bike to cycle back into Russia.
Man, it's tough being a refugee. Something to think about.
I'm thinking things are tough all over, if you have to bug out. May be better to unify and do some mutual aid thing where you're at.

My search engine failed to find much about Stels bikes.
But from what I can see,they are the equivalent of Apollo bikes in Britain.
In other words,totally gash !!!
That pile of bikes would amount to a total sum of £100 GBP.
Probably

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm seeing some images that show a range of bicycles, including a folder, but nothing that really excites. May be a broad range of bikes. Around here, about the only place I see Apollo bikes is at my local big box home improvement center (Menard's). When I shed my 29'er, I got a very beat Specialized Expedition in on the trade, so that may be my Doomsday Machine. Especially if I can replace the front suspension forks with non-suspension forks. Know quality-go quality. Especially in an emergency. I know our emergency management tells us here to have 3-6 days supply of food and water on hand, it may take them that long to get to me.

Around here, about the only place I see Apollo bikes is at my local big box home improvement center (Menard's).
Yup, that's the same (or equivalent) brand. Apollo is the cheapest house brand from a car parts and bicycle retailer (prices £100-200). The would be the sort of quality you would get in a big box store. And despite having "bike mechanics" on hand, it might not be any better assembled either :laugh:

The name may easily be a coincidence. In Australia, http://www.apollobikes.com seems to be quite good brand, selling CF dura ace equipped bikes (amongst many others), a world away from the UK brand.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yup, that's the same (or equivalent) brand. Apollo is the cheapest house brand from a car parts and bicycle retailer (prices £100-200). The would be the sort of quality you would get in a big box store. And despite having "bike mechanics" on hand, it might not be any better assembled either :laugh:

The name may easily be a coincidence. In Australia, http://www.apollobikes.com seems to be quite good brand, selling CF dura ace equipped bikes (amongst many others), a world away from the UK brand.
All this goes to prove that any-old bike will work IF you really NEED to bug out. The rest is just first world bullocks.

Top Bottom