BUG OUT,SURVIVAL Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velominati

I recently posted that I like bug out and survival bikes but it seems that these types of bikes are not that well known or people have no idea what they are or what they are used for. I thought that it may be useful to start a thread on these types of bikes, perhaps there are a few people on the forum that have built them or would like to. I would be interested in hearing what people think about the zombie bikes of the cycling world.
upload_2016-3-18_12-58-15.jpeg
fj4fbbfea9.jpg

Cheers
Velominati

seat's too low.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

[QUOTE 4200131, member: 45"]I have no idea what they are or what they are used for. Posting a picture of a camouflaged MTB does nothing to cure that ignorance.[/QUOTE]
Okay,
The bug out bike started in the USA with the Prepper Movement, for some reason many Americans have a fear that the end of the world is coming and as a result they started to prep for it, they have hidden food resources, weapons and hideouts, the bug out bike was designed to be a means of transport that required very little maintenance and could quickly and reliably transport them from their homes to their hideouts. The bikes had to be able to cope with rocky and forest terrain whilst at the same time cope with carrying large amounts of supplies, food, ammunition and weapons. In Europe it seems we do not have the same fear of Armageddon that our American cousins do but we have adopted the bug out bike for other purposes. In England the bug out bike is known as the survival bike. Most of the people that I have met with survival bikes use them for wild camping and all that sort of Bear Grylls method of living, others use it for camping and fishing and a few just to get away into the wilds and hide, each to their own. The nice thing about a survival bike is that it doesn't have to be expensive, a cheap mountain bike with a few mods will suffice. The survival bike is normally sprayed in either black, forest camouflage or desert colours, it should have as many racks and panniers and pouches as you can fit on there. You should be able to take everything you need, some people attach a trailer, so they can take their fishing and hunting gear with them. You would be amazed at some of the ingenious things people come up with for their bikes, its all about having fun and owning something a little different.

Tim Hall

That's the point, you can wild camp with these things, no shiny chrome.
Having done a bit of a google search I've found an Instructables article featuring the bike pictured. It seems chummy painted the whole thing in camo paint. Including the chain. If the idea is reliability in the event of the Zombie Apocalypse, painting parts that are supposed to move isn't high on my list of things to do.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

Having done a bit of a google search I've found an Instructables article featuring the bike pictured. It seems chummy painted the whole thing in camo paint. Including the chain. If the idea is reliability in the event of the Zombie Apocalypse, painting parts that are supposed to move isn't high on my list of things to do.
He may have gone a tad over the top with the camo paint. I think a big part of the enjoyment of these bikes is the gear that they enable you take into the wild, not that we have much in the way of wild in the UK. Ex-army gear is excellent quality and can be very cheap, no need to worry about all the latest gadgets from the cycling world when you can have better quality at a cheaper price. I found a half decent mountain bike at out local tip, it only cost me a couple of quid and it didn't take a lot to get it back onto the road, as long as the bike is reliable and can take the weight of your camping gear its good to go. low maintenance is the key, you can always upgrade bits and pieces.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

[QUOTE 4200198, member: 45"]So it is an MTB painted in camo colours.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't have to be a mountain bike, but most people opt for them. Some people use touring bikes.

OP
OP
Velominati

Velominati

[QUOTE 4200215, member: 45"]I might paint my hybrid orange so that it's better at getting me to Sainsburys.[/QUOTE]
That would work. At least people would spot you on the beach at Weston Supermud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom