Building speed... Does it come naturally?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Studley I think you might find most of it was relevant to naturally increase in speed, as your body gets fiiter it uses cals in different ways and its what I tried to show in the tables, and other stuff that is relevant but not necessarily understood, and I apologize it came out so long winded.
Sorry about this, this was my very first ride and like you it hurt and continued hurting for the best part of a year.
upload_2014-9-20_21-46-21.png

This was Fridays totals, nothing great really, but I couldn't have done this sort of speed, not even after 9 months.
upload_2014-9-20_21-48-0.png

I think that is what the O.P. was getting at about a gradual continuous improvement.

Edit and take note of my max HR when you consider I am 50 it should be in the region of 170'ish

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry if I came across as a stick in the mud type of guy, I'm all for being friendly and sharing in our experiences. I just found it a bit frustrating having to read 145 posts just to get at the 7 or 8 posts that had relevance to the thread. But hey, if that's ok with the OP and site mods them who am I to say. :hugs:
I have been on a forum which applied strict moderation and lasted about 2 days!

The mods were little Hitlers who jumped on whatever they declared to be 'off topic' posts. An example of 'off topic' was me pointing out that the final post in a thread which had been declared 'resolved' was in fact in error. I was given a formal warning.

When I queried the warning, I got a final warning and was told that if I ever found what I thought was an error like that, I should start another thread in which I could say that I found a mistake in the original thread. Ridiculous!

I was also told that questioning a mod's decision was an offence punishable by a lifetime ban. I felt like going on one last time to post "You must be completely stupid if you think that makes sense!" but decided to just give up so I 'banned' myself! :laugh:

Studley

@Studley I think you might find most of it was relevant to naturally increase in speed, as your body gets fiiter it uses cals in different ways and its what I tried to show in the tables, and other stuff that is relevant but not necessarily understood, and I apologize it came out so long winded.
Sorry about this, this was my very first ride and like you it hurt and continued hurting for the best part of a year.
View attachment 56893

This was Fridays totals, nothing great really, but I couldn't have done this sort of speed, not even after 9 months.
View attachment 56894

I think that is what the O.P. was getting at about a gradual continuous improvement.

Edit and take note of my max HR when you consider I am 50 it should be in the region of 170'ish

That's not quite actually true Nigel, regardless of getting fitter or not, the body uses cals in exactly the same way. Fitter or not, you eat too many calories and you will store some excess in fat, fitter or not, your body converts calories to energy and will store excess calories. What actually happens when you get fitter is your body becomes more proficient at doing this. Your muscles will adapt to store more readily available carbs and your metabolism will generate more energy whilst using less energy to generate it. :smile:

Mike J

Regular
That's not quite actually true Nigel, regardless of getting fitter or not, the body uses cals in exactly the same way. Fitter or not, you eat too many calories and you will store some excess in fat, fitter or not, your body converts calories to energy and will store excess calories. What actually happens when you get fitter is your body becomes more proficient at doing this. Your muscles will adapt to store more readily available carbs and your metabolism will generate more energy whilst using less energy to generate it. :smile:

Does this mean that if you exercise regularly then stop, that you will gain weight quicker as your body is storing energy expecting you to use it for your exercise?

Studley

Initially no, the muscles only store the same amount of carbs and won't store more because you've stopped exercising. But, if you continue eating the same amount of calories then yes, you probably will. It will convert some of the unused calories to fat storage.

Studley

I'm no expert on the subject but I would say that the relationship between fitness and using fat cals is more to do with the increased exercise undertaken as a result of being fitter, not just being fitter. You will use more fat cals because you've upped your metabolic rate, not lowered your HR. At the end of the day, even if you are super duper fit with a HR of 35bpm, if you eat too many calories you will store fat. imho :smile:

@Studley I can only go off the data I have and whilst not very scientific due to the level of equipment, I always burn more fat cals at a lower HR than at a higher one.

upload_2014-9-21_12-45-30.png

Studley

Well, I 'aint no scientist so can't comment on the rigour of the data from that perspective but, looking at the 49.47% Fatcals I'd suggest that it might possibly be as a result of your carbs-fats intake ratio being almost 50-50 ?

How do you work out the percentage of cals carb to calsfat used ? Surely you'd need to know precisely what your BMI and body composition is at all times ?

Well, I 'aint no scientist so can't comment on the rigour of the data from that perspective but, looking at the 49.47% Fatcals I'd suggest that it might possibly be as a result of your carbs-fats intake ratio being almost 50-50 ?

How do you work out the percentage of cals carb to calsfat used ? Surely you'd need to know precisely what your BMI and body composition is at all times ?
That was only into town and back 200ft in just over 2 miles, with a break in the middle so probably isn't the most reliably bit of data. I have just done pretty much the same thing I will see later what its like. The R20 defaults to 50% on each without the HR monitor.

Top Bottom