Building speed... Does it come naturally?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
That's impressive. Eating all that whilst cycling uphill @Nigelnaturist :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
@screenman I eat almost anything, though for the most part pretty good, but last night I had chips about 5 fried eggs, and then 3/4's of a donner calazonie pizza, and set a couple of p.b.'s going up hill with a bike weighing 16Kg's

Fine, try it 20 days on the trot and let us know the results. Maybe you should sell your tips to Froomie.

Carb loading my mate calls it!

I just had a Beer and a Chinese. Will see how I get on in the morning. ;)
I am not off out tomorrow, a bit sore from the infection I have had recently, but might feel better tomorrow, at the min I am just turning the legs over on some short rides, avg H.R. has gone up from 136 in July to this month of 146.
2/9 it was 134bpm over 28 miles @ 16.21mph with a 33.6ft/mile climb rate ( a bit below my normal climb rate), first day back after the two weeks off, 17/9 19.16 miles @ 15.78mph and 38.99ft/mile (about my normal) it was 153bpm. Avg for the year is 141bpm with 36.7ft/mile avg.
This is how I know I have lost a little fitness because two weeks doesn't really show in speed or climbing and I dont feel much worse, but its the figures that show it.

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I've found that even after 12 mile rides, the recovery time is very quick (i.e. when I stop feeling knackered)

Tomorrow will be out for another ride, on the flat down at the seafront hopefully.

Fine, try it 20 days on the trot and let us know the results. Maybe you should sell your tips to Froomie.
Read the first part as in "I eat almost anything, though for the most part pretty good", I ride for leisure/transport/fitness, my overall weight is pretty good at about 12 1/2st and 6ft, I am not obsessive enough to own scales, only those that can weigh the bike, and then only because they are luggage scales, though I possible know the weight of all the components on the bike as I weigh them before fitting, but not obsessive about keeping the bike light, I just like to know.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
In my teens and early twenties I ate junk without an ounce of fat on me, gym to keep in shape
mid forties and even the smell of a kebab and it's puffer fish time. I don't do the gym/weights anymore not done for a long long time, tried the gym again a couple of years ago but it bored the Sh** out of me, much prefer the outdoors exercise.

I've found that even after 12 mile rides, the recovery time is very quick (i.e. when I stop feeling knackered)

Tomorrow will be out for another ride, on the flat down at the seafront hopefully.
There will come a time even after a climb as soon as the gradient starts to easy you start to recover, your body can get that fit and I smoke but then the gradients here are generally either not very bad or very long.
This isn't a bad little climb http://www.strava.com/activities/196645054/analysis/111/156 and you will that after the 5% bit I start to recover, but then HR/Cad remains pretty constant, and this was a new p.b.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
@screenman I eat almost anything, though for the most part pretty good, but last night I had chips about 5 fried eggs, and then 3/4's of a donner calazonie pizza, and set a couple of p.b.'s going up hill with a bike weighing 16Kg's
I would be sick if I ate that much . I would just stop eating to be honest as the chips and eggs would be more than enough to fill me up .
That's not an opinion it's how MY body works .

In my teens and early twenties I ate junk without an ounce of fat on me, gym to keep in shape
mid forties and even the smell of a kebab and it's puffer fish time. I don't do the gym/weights anymore not done for a long long time, tried the gym again a couple of years ago but it bored the Sh** out of me, much prefer the outdoors exercise.
I couldn't do the gym (head wise) besides I have always prefered riding on the road, though didn't do much from about 96-2008 and then from 2008-2012 you get the idea.

I would be sick if I ate that much . I would just stop eating to be honest as the chips and eggs would be more than enough to fill me up .
That's not an opinion it's how MY body works .
We are all different, but like I say I can regually do in excess of 800+ miles a month, this year is down on last as I had a bad winter, then April I lost two weeks this month I have lost two weeks ( I can't do the distance pain wise to do 50+ mile rides yet) and did next to nothing ( for me) in Aug,
All in all though the weight looks after itself.

Top Bottom