Building speed... Does it come naturally?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Presumably depending on the individual however?

Personally, I go for 30-40 per mile, so at 13-15 miles an hour average, 400-500. I can't imagine how I'd get to 1000 an hour!
My guesstimate for me (based on weight loss on long rides) is 45 cals/mile. On a flat road on a still day, I could probably average 18+ mph for a long time, so that would be 800+ cals/hour. There are people who ride an awful lot quicker than that!

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't lose any weight on long rides...cycling alone seems to have no impact other than making my legs muscly and sore mostly!

I believe gender plays quite a big role here, no clue on the science except we seem to have a lower BMR

Using this based on my height, weight and age ...if female, 1660 cals per day BMR, male 1826...seems unfair, that's half a pain au raisin** :sad:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

(not that it is possible to eat only half a pain au raisin of course :whistle: )

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Mine says 1'397 but I aint eating no raisins xx( so far today ive had three fried eggs and two sausages . Oh and four chunks of dairy milk chocolate but it had nuts in it so it doesn't count :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't lose any weight on long rides...cycling alone seems to have no impact other than making my legs muscly and sore mostly!
I lose about 1 pound on an imperial century and 1+1/4 pounds on a '200'. That is as measured a couple of days later, after rehydrating and pigging out. Immediately post-ride I could easily be 6 or 7 pounds lighter, despite drinking 3-4 litres on the ride and eating whatever I fancied.

My guesstimate for me (based on weight loss on long rides) is 45 cals/mile. On a flat road on a still day, I could probably average 18+ mph for a long time, so that would be 800+ cals/hour. There are people who ride an awful lot quicker than that!
From the data I have and this is using two different units the Rider 20 seems to slightly higher than the Edge 500 I had
Per mile avg 48.5, per hr 713 of those about 25% are fat according to the data from Brytons site. with an avg speed over all that of just over 15mph.

I did the maths based on my data and I would need something like 350 miles to lose a lb

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
I know a dietitian, who once told me as I struggle with weight "Did you ever see a fat person in a nazi concentration camp, you eat less calories and you will lose weight" Harsh comment but true, If you are at a constant weight, add up the calories that maintain your usual weight, then reduce the amount of calories, She advised me to aim at losing one pound a week, yes it worked, I lost 2 stone that way but the amount of calories I could eat was only 1700 calories, boy was I hungry all the time, the meales barely touched the sides of my stomach. BTW I put it all back on again

I know a dietitian, who once told me as I struggle with weight "Did you ever see a fat person in a nazi concentration camp, you eat less calories and you will lose weight" Harsh comment but true, If you are at a constant weight, add up the calories that maintain your usual weight, then reduce the amount of calories, She advised me to aim at losing one pound a week, yes it worked, I lost 2 stone that way but the amount of calories I could eat was only 1700 calories, boy was I hungry all the time, the meales barely touched the sides of my stomach. BTW I put it all back on again
It is I believe quoted at 3500cals per lb of body fat or a daily deficit of 500cals to lose 1lb in a week.

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
It is I believe quoted at 3500cals per lb of body fat or a daily deficit of 500cals to lose 1lb in a week.
My pre diet calories for me to maintain 18 stone was 2200, my calorie intake to maintain a target weight of 15 stone were 1700 cals (non exercise days). To be honest staying on the diet wasn't a priority when my mrs became ill again earlier this year, which is the main reason the weight went back on again. So long as the bike doesn't collapse under the strain then I'm all good

My pre diet calories for me to maintain 18 stone was 2200, my calorie intake to maintain a target weight of 15 stone were 1700 cals (non exercise days). To be honest staying on the diet wasn't a priority when my mrs became ill again earlier this year, which is the main reason the weight went back on again. So long as the bike doesn't collapse under the strain then I'm all good
I find my riding I lose weight but its not really an issue, in other words i didn't set out to lose weight cycling it was just a side effect, I personally don't think a bit of extra weight is really an issue apart from things in cycling like hills, as cycling will give you a much better cardiovascular system which will then cope better with some extra weight, but thats just a personal view. I don't really watch what I eat so long as i get enough carbs/sugar/salt to cope with what I ride, which until recently can be in excess of 7-800 miles a month, it really only is illness that stops me doing that, so going on some figures I sort of worked keeps in check about 2lb a month, the thing is it likely due to my illness I do not eat well sometimes.

Just to revise the weight of the bike, weighed the bike today just under 16Kg's guars, rack, saddle bag and rear bag with a few bits in, and I set a couple of up hill p.b's, got very little else mind you.

http://www.strava.com/activities/196645054/segments/4629134932
http://www.strava.com/activities/196645054/segments/4629134914

Last edited:
@screenman I eat almost anything, though for the most part pretty good, but last night I had chips about 5 fried eggs, and then 3/4's of a donner calazonie pizza, and set a couple of p.b.'s going up hill with a bike weighing 16Kg's

Top Bottom