building up a new bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soltour

Hi all,
I need some advice...I have a schwinn 26" wheel, sierra comfort bike, I want to buy a Surly LH T frame and would like to know if I can transfer the parts from the Schwinn parts to the long haul trucker as the latter is expensive to buy complete. Your advice will be most appreciated...Thankyou

andym

Über Member
One of these?

http://www.pedalscyc...0s22p1878&rs=gb

I'm sorry to say I'm a bit doubtful:

- you could transfer the wheels (if you get the 26-inch version of the LHT), but really only as a short-term measure, if you are planning to do very much touring you'll probably be thinking about upgrading the wheels;

- SFAIK the LHT is designed to be ridden with drop bars - so that means unfortunately you can't reuse the bars or shifters and brakes;

- if I've found the right bike, the chainset only has a single ring whereas you'll need a triple.

So, unfortunately, I think the answer is 'no'. Sorry. If budget is an issue why not look at one of the bikes from Edinburgh Cycles, or Decathlon, or secondhand?

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
you can have all sorts of bars on the LHT, its pretty versatile as Its frame is fairly similar to the late 80's MTBs.

I've got one with north road bars and a 1x8 gearing like this:

4358801171_7bdc17bf8b.jpg

and trekking bars work too

andym

Über Member
That's a nice looking bike.

I'm still slightly sceptical. I guess you could use the Schwinn parts to make a city bike (or a tourer for flat countries!) like yours with a cassette instead of hub gears and then upgrade the transmission and shifters later.

Oh (and I hate being an old misery guts) the Schwinn has a threaded headset - so you'd need a new headset and stem.

OP
OP
S

soltour

Well, thanks for the replies...it looks like I am going to have to buy a new bike. I did have a dawes galaxy but unfortunately Easyjet wouldnt allow it on board even though it had a plastic bag...still thats another story not to bore you with....Ta

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well, thanks for the replies...it looks like I am going to have to buy a new bike. I did have a dawes galaxy but unfortunately Easyjet wouldnt allow it on board even though it had a plastic bag...still thats another story not to bore you with....Ta

I've taken a Galaxy on Easyjet flights many times. Wheels off and in a box or a bag they have no idea what model it is!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If it was a Thorn I could understand them not allowing it on.
I don't even like to be near one, even though they're so ugly they make me look pretty.
*hides*

Top Bottom