Bumps on my labia - linked to cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,
I apologize for the fact that my first post is so . . . personal. I need some ideas about how to deal with this and none of the Google searches I have done seem to really address this. For the past 1 1/2 years, I have been biking approx. 14 miles per day (22 km/day) and have been finding that I regularly get painful bumps on the outer sides of my labia. I usually wear cotton underwear and bike in regular clothing. I have a soft, foamy saddle. I don't know for sure that this condition is linked to cycling, nor am I sure what changes I could make to reduce the frequency of this happening, but it can be very painful and it takes a while to go away. Biking is my main source of transportation and I pull my 40 lb (18 kg) son behind me on a trail-along; I don't know if the added weight is another factor. Any suggestions for dealing with this would be most appreciated.

sheffgirl

I have had issues with being uncomfortable in the saddle. I would recommend padded cycling shorts, or you can get padded underwear if you want to keep wearing regular clothes on top.
There are female specific saddles available with a cut out in them to prevent pressure on your delicate bits. For me, I found adjusting the angle of my saddle helped.

MikeW-71

Veteran
:welcome:

This sounds like it could be saddle sores, or very similar. What kind of bike is it?

The soft foam saddle might be part of the problem, it sounds odd but a firmer saddle can be more comfortable as distance increases. Ensure the saddle is level which will help to ensure you are sitting on your sit bones and not the more sensitive areas. The saddle might not be wide enough

As said, cotton underwear will chafe, consider some padded cycling shorts, they will help a lot.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Have you been to see your Dr. There could be a number of problems that could be the cause. I think you should start there and if your Dr can't find any reason for the lumps, then you could do as advised above. In any case the advise given by shefffgirl is good sound advise. It could well be your ordinary clothing rubbing, causing friction and in turn the lumps. cycling shorts may be the way to go as well as changing saddle and saddle adjustment.

Reactions: mjr

ayceejay

Guru
This part of the female genitalia varies greatly (ask me how I know) so a doctor should be the first port of call.
Having said that, cotton underwear is not good for cycling the number of miles you do as it soaks and retains moisture and moisture is the enemy in that area. You need proper cycling shorts worn 'commando' and a wash after your ride.

A million dutch women ride this sort of mileage in normal clothes and, i presume, cotton underwear without any bother. I think the solution for your problem isnt padded lycra shorts but simply the correct saddle for your bottom.

My partner has two apparently identical saddles on her two bikes. One gives her no problems at all, the other gives her a pain in the fangita.

Somone will be along in a minute to mention the 'saddle library' on this here forum.

buggi

Bird Saviour
get yourself some cycle shorts from Corinne Dennis. She does a nice pad, feels thin but very effective and soft on the skin. Wear without underwear. www.corinnedennis.co.uk.
go to a proper bike shop and get them to measure your sit bones and recommend you a saddle. Don't be embarrassed to tell them, they hear about more stuff than doctors do!
and as said, get doc to rule anything else out.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A million dutch women ride this sort of mileage in normal clothes and, i presume, cotton underwear without any bother. I think the solution for your problem isnt padded lycra shorts but simply the correct saddle for your bottom.

My partner has two apparently identical saddles on her two bikes. One gives her no problems at all, the other gives her a pain in the fangita.

Somone will be along in a minute to mention the 'saddle library' on this here forum.

Not only Dutch women.
A few ladies I know (me included) do ride 30/40 miles in normal, albeit comfortable, stretchy clothing, with underwear :tongue:
It's the saddle in my opinion also, unless of course, there is a medical condition not related to cycling.
Good luck in solving this @SF cyclingmama!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mrs FF can't do commando and padded shorts, though the right pair of knickers and regular gym shorts seem fine.
Soft saddles generally aren't great either.
Speak to your Doc.

Justiffa

I've always gotten some kind of problem with the delicate bits (as sheffgirl rather delicately puts it lol) whenever I go out riding with panties further than 30-40km, be it chaffing, or bruising etc. it becomes less of a problem when I switch to padded tights or padded inner. but even so when I go for longer club rides 100km and over, making sure I move about on my saddle i.e. shake my butt occasionally, does help with the blood circulation to the nether regions which translates into almost painfree rides.

And yes, better check on the type of saddle/seat also. I use a specific for gender type.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You'd have to roll your hips to be sitting on any part of genitalia which will probably have an underlying cause. I'd be checking saddle tilt and position fore/aft. How soft is this saddle?

Reactions: mjr

RAYMOND

Most men would have problems over longer distance,even the most expensive padded shorts won't prevent problems cycling long distances.
Iv'e never had any problems myself but hen I only cycle 40 miles in one go.
If anyone wears padded then you don't wear anything under them, over yes if you like.
The probably cause if its bike related will be the position of the seat.

Top Bottom