Burnley area - what is there to see/do on a Saturday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Does anyone have ideas of what to do for the day around Burnley? I'll be finding myself up there at a loose end tomorrow and would normally have work to do / a bike.

"Leave" isn't an option as I'm dropping son no. 2 off for a bike training day in Burnley early am and collecting him from Colne late pm.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go for a walk?
To the pub?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Take a bike? If you can, and would like a challenging route, let me know and I'll knock up one for you. (If so, let me know how far and how much climbing.)

PS Oops, you won't have a bike. Oh well. How about driving round some of the roads instead to check them out for future rides?

Queen Street Mill is well worth a visit - if it is open.
The King's Speech was filmed here.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Queen Street Mill is well worth a visit - if it is open.
The King's Speech was filmed here.

Nice thought. Closed until 17 May

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No knowledge of the place but from Google maps it seems a bit of a dead and alive place. The usual smattering of pizza places and Chinese plus there a McD's of course. Not even an El Morrocco tea rooms :sad:
Fair share of golf courses, so maybe take your clubs.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

My vote then is - go for a walk up Pendle Hill! It is the biggest hill for miles around and you will be close to it. Head over to Barley or Newchurch-in-Pendle and wander about.

Example walks.

He's riding Burnley-Colne via Barley/Pendle Hill so this is a good idea. Apparently the organisers think riding up there is a nice warm-down from the morning session and warm-up for the afternoon one :laugh:

No knowledge of the place but from Google maps it seems a bit of a dead and alive place. The usual smattering of pizza places and Chinese plus there a McD's of course. Not even an El Morrocco tea rooms :sad:
Fair share of golf courses, so maybe take your clubs.

Haven't played golf since I had a go on Royal Portrush in 1990, as I lived there.

Nip down to Heptonstall.
There is a ruined abbey - Henry V111 of course. Interesting if you like ruins. The churchyard has the grave of David Hartley. One of the coiners who nearly ruined the country and was hanged for his efforts.

Hardcastle Crags near Todmorden. Nice for a commune with nature and good cafe.
Another museum type thingy as well which may or may not be open. Good cafe.

Top Bottom