Bus driver question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just had a stupid remark from a bus driver to one of my videos.

nethalus wrote: If bicycles are banned from the road there won't be any more problems.

Wise words indeed!!?xx(

Anyway I clicked on her username and noticed that she films herself driving the bus. Would First buses not frown on this behaviour. I know that recently some train drivers got in to trouble for filming their rides at work.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/nethalus

I have a right mind to forward this to First to see if they value her opinion on the rights of cyclists and that they are happy for her to film her work.

What do you think?

:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
send it!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Can anyone work out what bus depot she works from from her videos? If I decide to write I want to write to the correct part of First.

The more I think about her attitude towards cyclists the more I think I really have to say something.

What do you think?

PrettyboyTim

I think it'd be a bit much to jeapordise her job just for the sake of a stupid remark on YouTube.

If you want to make a response, just reply to one of her posts with 'Do your First Bus employers know you're videoing at work?' If you're feeling evil, add 'Shall I tell them?'

Maz

Guru
Is it worth it? No. What do you hope to achieve? Get her sacked?
Ignore it - I bet most folk leave numpty comments on there when they're half p1ssed, anyway.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I had thought about doing that Tim. However, I am slightly concerned about her attitude towards cyclists. Does this affect how she drives when she is near them? Who knows?

Also this shows that First is not training it's drivers properly, i.e. they are supposed to be taught to respect other road users etc. This is obviously not being stressed enough and needs to be addressed.

As you say I don't want to jeapordise anyone else's livelihood and that is part of the reason I wanted to ask the forums opinion. However, if I bring this type of attitude to the attention of First I know from experience that this can change training practices etc and can make a difference.

I would be surprised if this lady would loose her job over this, I think a warning would suffice, but maybe I can use this incident to highlight an issue.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Maz, would she be sacked though? If she would only be reprimanded then I would be willing to say something.

I also think a lot could be achieved. Due to another incident that occurred in Glasgow with a First bus I contacted First and complained. I managed to convince them to take part in the Give Cyclists Room campaign, (which they are apparently printing stickers up as we speak to put on buses in Glasgow).

Once this Glasgow campaign becomes public (with some local press coverage) I want to try and expand it, for example to First elsewhere. This would give me a reason to contact another branch of First and to put pressure on them to take part. If I did this I would certainly stress that I did not want the lady in question to be sacked, just informed of the error in her attitude.

It's a tricky one I know.

spen666

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Maz, would she be sacked though? If she would only be reprimanded then I would be willing to say something.

It's a tricky one I know.

I see no problem in complaining about this person to her employers.

Her attitude is inappropriate for her job. The fact she is filming when driving is no doubt a breach of her employment conditions.

If she gets sacked, then it is the fault of her actions, not your.

domtyler

Über Member
Seems a bit spiteful to grass to her employers. Can't you handle the situation yourself? Why not try to reason with her using considered argument rather than get her into trouble at work and breed even more resentment?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It would seem there is a definite divide. At the moment I am erring on the side of reporting her, although I worry that she would get sacked and thats not what I want. Although as a few have said it would be her fault and not mine.

Any other thoughts appreciated!:biggrin:

I'm not sure how definite a conclusion you could draw from a comment on a video. Perhaps an e-mail to her (assuming that you can do this, I'm not familiar with YouTube) along the lines of 'I hope that comment isn't reflected in the way you drive' might be more appropriate.

Road Fiddler

She cant be sacked if this is the first complaint she would only be given a warning. For her to have vids named Grumpy bus driver is not good for a company to be associated with.

It might also give her a kick in the right direction to change her attitude. She might not be a model employee with lots of complaints already those vids dont show someone that respects her position in the company.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided, as Chuffy suggested, to send a message to her. I have just asked her to clarify her comments on cyclists.
Depending on how (or if) she responds will depend on how I deal with this.

I suppose it is only right I let her clarify her position.

Of course she will probably not reply...:biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Keep us posted, Magnatom !

I would have been tempted to drop her in it, but emailing her's the right thing to do. If she gets really arsey about your comment, THEN consider reporting her.

Will (or did) you mention your role in the First campaign to her ? That might give her a bit of a wake-up if she thinks you're pally with her employer :biggrin:

Top Bottom