Buy A Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
yes I grip the bars to tighly sometimes, normally I,m up against a bank hedge one side and a tractor and trailer the other, two things get gripped to tightly then, the handlebars and my sphinkter.

potsy

Rambler
I admit I don't indicate to overtake cyclists but would be looking behind lots to make sure I had the space to do so.
Summerdays overtook someone?? :ohmy: :tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Summerdays overtook someone?? :ohmy: :tongue:
Ha ha ha - that's the advantage of cycling in a city - there is lots to overtake - kids on tricycles, toddlers on like-a-bikes, and some others that go slower than you. Note I didn't say old people - some of the faster cyclists out there can also have quite a few grey hairs too!!! Want to race? (is your top speed under or over 10 mph - just to check whether I need to take my stabilizers off:laugh:, if over 10 I think I may be washing my hair that day)

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
This hopefully doesn,t apply to most normal cyclists, I find the biggest offenders are - Pro-look alike , or Pro think they are , cyclists.

I know a bell is so not tour de france.

(just because its a legal requirement - its so uncool)

My biggest worry when cycling is other cyclists. - the closest calls to a crash have come from - other cyclists.

Cars you can hear, yes always be wary of the other car, the first passes you , but you can,t hear the one directly behind it who then scares the s--t out of you

But Bikes - appear on your elbow out of nowere, I get it when I,m going round a parked car , a bike cuts me up - I get overtaken allot - I got overtaken by a jogger once go up a hill -

Seriously , I was overtaken by an entire cycle club the other week and appart from thinking its cool to push you into the overhanging hedge, not one - not one out of the entire club had a bell !. - or if they did they didn,t know what it is for.

they didn,t have any sense of space either, they must have liked my body odor as they practicaly climbed on my bike.

Honestly, you can,t be heard, I,m as much a danger to you as you are to me, give us a ding to let me know your behind me.

I don,t care wiggins hasn,t got one, - GET A BELL.

sorry for the rant.
Or just politely inform them that you are passing, say hello etc etc

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't know why people are so anti-bell... I mean, they're not the coolest thing to put on your pride and joy, but it's the best bit of kit I've bought... especially on shared use paths.

Do people panic when i ring my bell? No.
Do I find peple get offended when i ring my bell? No.

Maybe it's just not quite so full of ANGRY PE:cursing:PLE up here.

Crankarm

Guru
Airzound. This is all.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Vienna Conventions which clearly says: "Be equipped with a bell capable of being heard at a sufficient
distance, and carry no other audible warning device." [Article 14(1)(b)]

Does this mean I,m not allowed on my bike ? - if I have a voice. - by vienna convention.

oh I can,t put my parrot on the handlebars either.

oh I love the law. :wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hey up Lycramite... regarding your nervousness when looking behind you and staying in a straight line... don't invent something which locks your forks. :stop:

Instead, put your right hand on your right lap and look over your right shoulder. All will be dandy :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Ah I see , that keeps your shoulders straight with stops your left arm turning right, - good idea, hadn,t thought of that.
see this is what forums like this are about - spreading the knowledge.

- darn I had just worked out a mechanism that would hold your front wheel straight to !.
but this sounds cheeper

cheers

Hawk

Veteran
Ah I see , that keeps your shoulders straight with stops your left arm turning right, - good idea, hadn,t thought of that.
see this is what forums like this are about - spreading the knowledge.

- darn I had just worked out a mechanism that would hold your front wheel straight to !.
but this sounds cheeper

cheers

When you learn to cycle, you learn to make microscopic adjustments constantly to keep your bike upright. If your bike starts tipping to the right, you'll turn the bars to the right truly instinctively - you wont be aware of this. This causes your bike to turn ever so slightly to the right and moves your bike back under you i.e upright

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
If i am behind anyone either pedestrian or another cyclist i just politly tell i''m coming past on their right or left then thank them.It's easy,more personnell and sometimes you end having a nice chat........well i do,mostly dog owners for some reason !

Top Bottom