Buy A Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
clearly me and and hell of lot of other cyclists need cycle training.
especially the dastard who clipped past my elbow with only inches to spare when he had the whole damn road to move in.
and pray explain with your level 3 test how you are aware of a cyclist coming up behind you. - what you have eyes in your arse. you cannot hear them. (well I can,t anyhow)

ok it may not be "the law" (though it does seam a very grey area. ) but its like lots of other things, you know, helmets, puncture repair kits ,lights, high vis jackets, mirrors, not wearing black on a black bike at night with no lights,

its kind of a good idea.

one wonders if its recommended in your level 3 cycling profincy , or do they just suggest you improve your voice projection whilst swivelling your head 360degrees.:laugh:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I will continue to take various cycle training courses, not because I feel I am a terrible cyclist or a hazard on the public highway, but because I believe it is a skill which I can continue to improve upon and develop. I suggested cycle training based on my own experiences and feel it has a lot to offer people such as yourself.
I am not however going to attempt to justify what the courses have to offer, or how it improved my own cycling, or improved my understanding of the laws relating to cycling, safety, allround observation and awareness. I would however suggest you do your own research into what cycling courses are available in your area and if you feel they suit your own needs.

Your posts continue to suggest the issue is with other road users, like the dastard who clipped your elbow however you fail to consider that perhaps you jumpped and moved when he supprised you (you have stated that you do not hear or see bikes around you), he was blown by a heavy gust of wind, you make references to cycle clubs pushing you into overhanging hedges. Not for one moment do I believe cycle clubs have this on their agenda for training rides, perhaps as these people are used to riding in groups they are more comfortable being close to you than you are so moved across into the hedge..... Things are not often what they first seem and all I am aware of is that I do not personally have the same issues as yourself which is why I made the training suggestion as its helped me.

The fact is you can not demand other cyclists have bells, that car drivers give you five foot overtaking, the roads are smooth as its never going to happen in my life time, like me you are responsible for your own safety and training can help.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Well theirs allot of truth in what your saying.
Maybe I,m just jumpy and feel threatened , unsteadied by other cyclists inches from me.
I admit when I see the pelaton in races I shudder at all those bikes so close together.

as for bike awareness , I only have 160 degree vision like everyone else. and my hearing isn,t first class
so what does it recommend at level 3 when overtaking a cyclist ? (I wouldn,t know as I never overtake other cyclist - I,m to damn slow:smile: )
is it , let them know your about to overtake (you know a bit like cars do with thier indicators)
or just bang past and see if you can take a layer of skin off them at the same time (like motorbikes do with cars)

but your probably right bout training , I've never had any training, my first bike was my brothers and it was so tall I had to mount it by finding a low wall, and stopping involved crashing into a hedge to get off.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Part of the advice would be to look behind lots as you would in a car, except most cyclists don't have mirrors so you wouldn't see if anyone was indicating to overtake you unless you looked behind.

I admit I don't indicate to overtake cyclists but would be looking behind lots to make sure I had the space to do so.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I often wonder if thiers a device you can fit to the bike to lock the stearing when looking behind as when you look behind, particulary right behind you , well I do anyway the rest of you probably think rubbish - learn to ride , I tend to wobble or drift
which is the moment the thing that caused me to look blasts past me. - had one of those electric bikes do it, - it didn,t exactly blast past me , I slowed down to let him get back in.
I fitted road eye , but you can,t just glance you really have to stop pedalling and look to get a decent view.

I often wonder if thiers a device you can fit to the bike to lock the stearing when looking behind ...

As sure a way of causing a fall as any I have heard.

To keep upright you need to be able to move the centre of balance of the bike (wheel contact points) around under the centre of gravity (your gut). You are doing this all the time you are riding a bike, usually small movements that appear to be wobbles. If you lock the steering, you lose this ability and will soon fall off in a heap.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
we are talking a momentary thing, I,m sure we all have had occasions were you have to hold the stearing rock steady , ussually you have parked cars on your left and 60ton artic on your right and a nats whisker between both.
at moments like that you really have to lock your arms , practicly stop peddling and stay rock steady.
to be able to lock the front wheel straight could help.

nice to see in france a bell is compulsory. - which means it is probably through the rest of europe.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
we are talking a momentary thing, I,m sure we all have had occasions were you have to hold the stearing rock steady , ussually you have parked cars on your left and 60ton artic on your right and a nats whisker between both.
at moments like that you really have to lock your arms , practicly stop peddling and stay rock steady.
I find that it helps to be the opposite - a relaxed gentle holding of the handlebars helps me I think. If I get tense about it then I am more likely to pull the handlebars and wobble.

Dan_h

nice to see in france a bell is compulsory. - which means it is probably through the rest of europe.

Lock the steering? on a bike? really? ummmmmmmm... not sure that is the best idea in the world!

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I find that it helps to be the opposite - a relaxed gentle holding of the handlebars helps me I think. If I get tense about it then I am more likely to pull the handlebars and wobble.
I agree. A looser grip while going over lumps and bumps in the road or on a track also seems to help minimise the vibration effect on both bike and rider. I do have to keep check on my hands though, as for some unknown reason, I tend to grip too tightly on occasion.

Top Bottom