Buy A Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
Anyway as I say it looks like I've pissed you all off or you seem
To want to misinterpret me so no more comments from me on this thread
If this is the case then that's fair enough. I would suggest however, purely on the basis of your posts on this thread that if you don't want to be misinterpreted, either by other members of the forum or by people you meet when out cycling, you give a little more thought in future to what you say and how you say it.

I'll get off my high horse now before it throws me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
"Cycle Path" is better than "Cycle Lane" - apart from removing connotations of some special "ownership" like "bus lane"..... it makes people who mishear you move quicker and start looking around for the mad axeman ...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This hopefully doesn,t apply to most normal cyclists, I find the biggest offenders are - Pro-look alike , or Pro think they are , cyclists.

I know a bell is so not tour de france.

(just because its a legal requirement - its so uncool)

I cannot recall a signgle occasion in over 40 years cycling where I needed a bell. Removed bell from bike around 35

My biggest worry when cycling is other cyclists. - the closest calls to a crash have come from - other cyclists.

Cars you can hear, yes always be wary of the other car, the first passes you , but you can,t hear the one directly behind it who then scares the s--t out of you

But Bikes - appear on your elbow out of nowere, I get it when I,m going round a parked car , a bike cuts me up - I get overtaken allot - I got overtaken by a jogger once go up a hill -

Seriously , I was overtaken by an entire cycle club the other week and appart from thinking its cool to push you into the overhanging hedge, not one - not one out of the entire club had a bell !. - or if they did they didn,t know what it is for.

they didn,t have any sense of space either, they must have liked my body odor as they practicaly climbed on my bike.

Honestly, you can,t be heard, I,m as much a danger to you as you are to me, give us a ding to let me know your behind me.

I don,t care wiggins hasn,t got one, - GET A BELL.

sorry for the rant.

i can't recall a single occasion in 40+ years cycling where I needed a bell. Had one on bike for first 5 years or so, but never used it for anything other than random jingling, and never missed it after removing it. Mind you I ride on the road rather than pavement, so might be used by pavement cyclists for all I know. I have to say, the Op is making just about the silliest post i've ever seen, and then weakens any case still further by being insulting.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Ah - your the sod who clips past my elbow without any warning and scares the crap out of me.
Or like me you never overtake anybody.

Ok if your on the road its only other cyclists you don,t have to warn your about to snuggle past ,

I ride off road on tracks and trails and so often encounter walkers, people horse ect so a quick Ding about 25ys away is enough to alert them to my presence so they can rain thier loony dogs in.
Going up one particular hill standing on the pedals hanging on by my chin strap I had a loony dog come charging up barking at me, it over took me, ran up the hill, turned round charged back so it could chase me again -

so to everyone else - get a bell.

obviously were you cycle you don,t need one ,
or your obliviouse to the other cyclists you may well have severely pissed off.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
"I have to say, the Op is making just about the silliest post i've ever seen, and then weakens any case still further by being insulting."

Hang on a minute , what do you mean this is the silliest post youve read - you haven,t read my other ones yet !.

and if It appeared insulting to anyone , I appologise , wasn,t intended.
as with the post above , please don,t take it as I,m having a go at you , I,m not, just trying to illustrate why a bell is useful.

new-fish

I found that when approaching horses they are handy things, just to make the rider aware, few gentle rings and all is well. As an animal, they seem to me to be so unpredictable, I wouldn't feel right shouting as I approach. Just have to wait til I'm Prime minister so I can ban them from the road :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A bell on a bike :wacko: Not needed one since I was a child - my voice works well, from a polite, "excuse me and thank you very much" (much more polite than ting ting) to "WHOOAH" to silly drivers. Fine, costs now't, weight is now't.

Just fit Michelin Pro Race tyres and latex tubes - you'll hear me coming ..sssssss whooosh. They sing (loudly). Or fit some carbon wheels whoomp whoomp ! :laugh: Or when riding shared paths with the kids, you will hear my MTB tyres miles off ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

400bhp

Guru
Ah - your the sod who clips past my elbow without any warning and scares the crap out of me.
Or like me you never overtake anybody.

Ok if your on the road its only other cyclists you don,t have to warn your about to snuggle past ,

I ride off road on tracks and trails and so often encounter walkers, people horse ect so a quick Ding about 25ys away is enough to alert them to my presence so they can rain thier loony dogs in.
Going up one particular hill standing on the pedals hanging on by my chin strap I had a loony dog come charging up barking at me, it over took me, ran up the hill, turned round charged back so it could chase me again -

so to everyone else - get a bell.

obviously were you cycle you don,t need one ,
or your obliviouse to the other cyclists you may well have severely pissed off.

YOU ARE

400bhp

Guru
A bell could be seen as the old fashioned telephone with no caller i-d. Most rude.

U

User6179

Never been in a situation where I needed a bell but ive been in a lot of situations where a horn could of been used , i would go as far to say a horn could be a life saver .

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I wouldn't ring a bell at a horse. Horses are spooked by unusual noises. The only way to safely pass a horse from behind is to slow down and make it obvious you are not a predator. Saying hello to the horse works well.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
When I cycle on a shared pavement I find that a bell is an essential piece of equipment. A couple of rings on the bell is recognisable and much more courteous than bellowing at someone to mind out the way. Just my own experience and thoughts :smile:

400bhp

Guru
When I cycle on a shared pavement I find that a bell is an essential piece of equipment. A couple of rings on the bell is recognisable and much more courteous than bellowing at someone to mind out the way. Just my own experience and thoughts :smile:

No it's not.

Top Bottom