Buy A Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Which direction do the peds know where to go as you are coming past?
Well I slow down and ring, they turn around and see me either on the right or left then move themselves and any children or animals to the opposite side. Then as I pass I wink, smile and give thanks and if they're really lucky, another ring of me bell :thumbsup:

Octet

Veteran
My bicycle wasn't fitted with a bell when it came (but it wasn't on the actual shop floor at the time and has unusual shaped front handlebars (oval sort of shape and not the traditional tube)).
I have never used a bell (when I did have one on my old bike) and I don't think they are that effective. When ever a cyclist pasts someone, and when they do ring the bell, the person normally stops and turns around where as with a voice you can give a polite warning that you are coming through.
Equally, a voice can be louder and doesn't have to be rude. "Excuse me, coming on your right. Thank you" is just as acceptable as "ring, ring, ring"

Davidc

Guru
Pedant mode on .....

The Vienna Convention on Road Transport (VCRT) says it's a requirement.

That's also the convention which makes a bike a vehicle and gives us the right to use roads.

As a signatory the UK takes on the content of the convention, so a bell is a legal requirement here under international law.

Pedant mode off...

Not sure if an Airzound qualifies, but it's more effective on pedestrians who stray onto cycle paths than either a bell or a voice! (Especially at about 3 metres range) I bought a secondhand one, it's amazing.

U

User6179

When I cycle on a shared pavement I find that a bell is an essential piece of equipment. A couple of rings on the bell is recognisable and much more courteous than bellowing at someone to mind out the way. Just my own experience and thoughts :smile:

This is true but who shouts out of the way, excuse me and then thanks as you pass is far more courteous than ringing a bell imo.

AirZound, no question.

Until you have turned a child pedestrian into a crying wreck, or inspired a Granny into dancing the Funky Pedestrian, you simply have no idea what you are missing.

Get up close and unleash the Zound!

Octet

Veteran
The Airzound is much more fun!!

We only have one tarmac cycle path (10 miles long) on the island I live on so it probably would be wiser to have an air horn on the roads, although I think I would give half the pedestrians (heavily elderly population) a heart attack if I used it :ohmy:

Pedant mode on .....

The Vienna Convention on Road Transport (VCRT) says it's a requirement.

That's also the convention which makes a bike a vehicle and gives us the right to use roads.

As a signatory the UK takes on the content of the convention, so a bell is a legal requirement here under international law.

Pedant mode off...

Not sure if an Airzound qualifies, but it's more effective on pedestrians who stray onto cycle paths than either a bell or a voice! (Especially at about 3 metres range) I bought a secondhand one, it's amazing.

The VCRT states that no other audible warning device, so technically a rider is not allowed if they are able be heard

Octet

Veteran
The direct.gov.uk website only recommends a bell, only thing they state is that you need lights at night (no brainer for that one)

i use a bell for peds but they get more in the way then out when they turn around so i just slow right down and say thanks when they finally realise whos behind them, also i notice when riding on the road and through crossings, peds decide to walk out infront of me as if im not there because they think beause im not as fast as a car they are not in danger of me running them over, those are the occaisions were i could do with a car horn to scare them off the road lol

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I never realised a bell was so conteniouse , blimey good thing I didn,t say you should wear a helmet !.

I suppose a bell comes down to , need, and how you use it, like your voice it can be an offensive weapon to a frendly hello

but from my experience of all the things that overtake me from motorbikes(though they are pritty bad) , lorries, cars and even tanks other cyclists freek me the most.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
If any road user is freaking you out, then perhaps the issue which needs addressing is close to home. Im not convinced everyone having a bell would change that much for you. Perhaps you could do with some cycle training.
This is supported by the fact that in your first post you clearly displayed a lack of knowledge regarding the laws and rules of the highways and that for the sale and use of cycles.
You also stated in your first post that cycles appear on your elbow out of nowhere which equally suggests a lack of all round observation.
I have undertaken the cycle proficiency test and have also undertaken IAM level 3 test and I would most certainly reccomend them.

Top Bottom