Buy New or Rebuild?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
My Kona Paddy Waggon is in severe need of an overhaul. Needs a new paint job/ powder coat. Wheels, drive train bottom bracket and headset need replacing. Seat post is siezed. So, new bike or rebuild? I think it will cost £250 -£300 to rebuild!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If it is your hack I would rebuild it. Do the work you can yourself, source parts on the internet, then enjoy riding a bike that you have breathed fresh life into. :pump:^_^

I have an old 1990 rigid Kona MTB as a sort of hack. It is Gorgeous. I value it way above its nominal worth, which is probably about half of less than nothing.

I wouldn't bother with paint or powder coating... Put in a cheap BB (less than £20). Even if you need to buy the tools, it won't be another £20. Headset you can get for about a tenner and no special tools needed apart from a mallet and a good stick.

Stick the seat post in a vice and turn the frame, or just ride it at that height... if it's your bike it'll be right for you without adjustment.

Glory in the love of an old Kona and enjoy having a bike that is awesome but looks so shitty that no-one will steal it.

This isn't one option of many; it is the only thing you can do - and you know it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i am on to my 5th single speed build , and dropping frame , hubs, rims down to lbs 2moro for them to build some double fixed wheel set for my 2 nd fixed build so go rebuild route its great riding a bike that you have helped putting together

eshroom

Regular
My housemate just rebuilt a classic Eddy Merx into a single-speed. It has some rust and the colour is completely faded. It looks incredibly sex. I'll grab a photo when he gets back.

In short, definitely rebuild imho.

OP
OP
Vikeonabike

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Rebuild it is.. Decided to get the frame powder coated in Farnese Vini yellow...and go from there. It's my winter bike so it will be getting the full guards and rack treatment.. !!!!

Top Bottom