Buying a bike in Cuba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahc1

I'm new to this forum, so am hoping that I am posting my message in the correct are. I have been to Cuba a couple of times before, and am planning a third visit this July / August. I will fly into Havana and plan to take either the train or viazul over to Santiago de Cuba and spend a few weeks slowly cycling back to Havana. After much deliberating back and forth about whether to bring a bike or not I've been given advice that it's not necessary as it's now possible to buy a decentish bike from a shop in Havana or alternatively I could rent a hybrid from a Canadian company who have an office in el centro. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience of buying a bike in Havana and could give me some information in terms of costs, whether they already have a rack, quality etc. Thanks so much for your help.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wouldn't you be better getting in touch with the Canadian company direct?

Brains

Legendary Member
I would have thought that buying a bike in Cuba still means you have the same transportation problem when you leave, as either you have to sell it or take it with you.

Therefore I'd suggest you go for one option or the other. Take a bike with you In and Out, or rent one there.

Also it takes time to get a bike set up to your spec so renting off the Canadians sounds like the easiest hassle free option

OP
OP
S

sarahc1

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I wasn't planning on taking the bike back out of Cuba with me and was hoping to just leave it when I go which would be my preferred option rather than renting it. I have a Cuban family that I used to stay with on previous visits so was just going to leave it as a gift for them. I have no idea how to set a bike up so buying it in Canada and bringing it over boxed might be more hassle than I know how to deal with. So maybe renting will be the best option for me.

andym

Über Member
I have no idea how to set a bike up so buying it in Canada and bringing it over boxed might be more hassle than I know how to deal with. So maybe renting will be the best option for me.

Packing and unpacking the bike is pretty straightforward - taking off the wheels and pedals - and there are lots of instructions around for packing a bike. If you buy a bike ask the shop to let you have the box it came in and the 'frame protectors' which might have come with the frame.

It's probably a good idea to learn a bit about how to set up your bike - even though I suspect that there will be plenty of people willing and able to help.

400bhp

Guru
From experience (I have family in Cuba) you have no chance of buying a (decent) bike in Cuba.

You can ship them from here, there or anywhere. They will charge you "import duty" but where doesn't.

Are you going by yourself? Organised tour? I take it you know the risks?

OP
OP
S

sarahc1

Thanks everyone for all your help. Maybe I will pick up one in Canada afterall and then take it over if there's no chance of getting a decent one in Cuba. The information I had been given was that you could now pick up Canadian imported bikes in Havana and that you were even able to buy raleighs..... I thought it sounded too good to be true though. I'm travelling by myself and plan to just take each day as it comes. I have considered the pitfalls of doing this kind of trip especially by myself, but I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of..... what risks were you thinking of?

zizou

Veteran
I have no idea about availability of bikes but it sounds a fantastic trip!

400bhp

Guru
Thanks everyone for all your help. Maybe I will pick up one in Canada afterall and then take it over if there's no chance of getting a decent one in Cuba. The information I had been given was that you could now pick up Canadian imported bikes in Havana and that you were even able to buy raleighs..... I thought it sounded too good to be true though. I'm travelling by myself and plan to just take each day as it comes. I have considered the pitfalls of doing this kind of trip especially by myself, but I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of..... what risks were you thinking of?

Couple of things:

-The Cubans are super friendly and it is a reasonably safe country to get around in. The justice system there doesn't tolerate any crap. However, you will be very very prone to theft. DO NOT leave the bike anywhere out of sight, regardless of it being locked. Even in hotels/private house accomodation, then give them a little extra for keeping your bike safe. Bits will have a habit of disappearing, for example you might come back to your bike to fine a few bolts missing etc. If you have to leave it out of sight, pay someone a dollar to watch it.

-The road surfaces are poor, so be prepared for punctures/warped wheels. There are plenty of "Poncheras" (puncture repair places) around. However the majority of Cuba is countryside so you can go miles without going through a town.

-The locals will stop and help if you have mechanicals.

-The road signs are woeful. This will be your biggest headache. It would be advantageous if you can speak Spanish. They have a habit of making a simple task of telling you directions into an IQ test.

-You will get hassle from the men.

HTH :smile:

400bhp

Guru
The information I had been given was that you could now pick up Canadian imported bikes in Havana and that you were even able to buy raleighs.

That could be true, however i would not rely on getting one when there. It could be days/weeks/months before they get bikes in stock, there could be bits missing. No way would I risk it.

jay clock

Massive member
My guess is that bikes available to buy in Cuba will almost certainly be Chinese with heavy chromed parts and of terrible quality and heavy weight. I would not risk it.

Top Bottom