Buying a decent sausage (ooh erh matron)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah... suggested names wanted.
•sausage 1
•sausage 2 etc..
Porky?
Yummy ?
What was Dennis the Menace's pig called?

images (3).jpeg

Try the "Duda" branded ones.

I've just finished a pack of them. They're also lovely cold, thinly sliced in a sandwich or on toast. Would also recommend Kiełbasa Podwawelska if you can get it.
They make the ultimate hot dog with fried onions and obligatory Frenches yellow mustard. Might pick some up from my local place on way home, they usually have a couple of types loose on butchers counter.

They make the ultimate hot dog with fried onions and obligatory Frenches yellow mustard. Might pick some up from my local place on way home, they usually have a couple of types loose on butchers counter.

Forget the French's mustard, it's 'orrible. Get the Polish "Musztarda Delikatesowa" or, if you want your head blown off, the "Musztarda Sarepska"

The Poles do know how to make the best sausages. If you want good "proper" hot dogs, then get what are called "Paròwki" or "Berlinki"

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Forget the French's mustard, it's 'orrible. Get the Polish "Musztarda Delikatesowa" or, if you want your head blown off, the "Musztarda Sarepska"

The Poles do know how to make the best sausages. If you want good "proper" hot dogs, then get what are called "Paròwki" or "Berlinki"
Oi, what about English mustard, can't be beat with local butchers sausage. None of this foreign muck :hungry:
Use that stuff with hotdogs but not with Cumberland etc.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For years I supported a local butcher and still do for meat/bacon etc but recently, when I asked a direct question, he admitted that they no longer make their own sausages.
This morning I read a test report that claims out of 12 suppliers Aldi came joint 1st.
I am going there shortly and thought I will try them.

Whatever sausages you buy, don't dry them out by 'cooking' them in your air fryer.

A frying pan with a tablespoon of oil to start will do a much better job.

Whatever sausages you buy, don't dry them out by 'cooking' them in your air fryer.

A frying pan with a tablespoon of oil to start will do a much better job.

If I don't oven bake sausages, I'll do them in a frying pan with a bit of dripping on a bed of onions. Start off with the lid on and steam the sausages (they don't shrink that way) until the onions are tender. Then remove the lid, let the liquid evaporate, the onions caramelize in the dripping and the sausages brown. It's the bees' knees in a sandwich / crusty roll / baguette.

I'll do burgers and hot dogs the same way.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If I don't oven bake sausages, I'll do them in a frying pan with a bit of dripping on a bed of onions. Start off with the lid on and steam the sausages (they don't shrink that way) until the onions are tender. Then remove the lid, let the liquid evaporate, the onions caramelize in the dripping and the sausages brown. It's the bees' knees in a sandwich / crusty roll / baguette.

I'll have to give that a try . I don't buy beef dripping often so can you suggest an alternative ?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Oi, what about English mustard, can't be beat with local butchers sausage. None of this foreign muck :hungry:
Use that stuff with hotdogs but not with Cumberland etc.

English mustard is for food that is so disgusting that 100% of the flavour needs camouflaging by that rancid yellow sh!t. It belongs in the bin.

I'll have to give that a try . I don't buy beef dripping often so can you suggest an alternative ?

A splash of cooking oil is fine. You don't need that much (just enough to stop the onions from catching as they sweat), as you'll get the fat from the sausages too, as they cook. Which in turn gives the onions a lovely flavour.

I've always got beef dripping to hand, as I use it in my deep fat fryer. Makes the best chips ever. :hungry:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

That's advanced sausage frying.

I sometimes split sausages lengthwise - the greater the browned surface area the more flavour.

It's also quicker.

They do get badly out of shape, but don't look too bad if piled artfully on the plate.

I've always got beef dripping to hand,

An uncle of mine was very fond of bread and dripping.

He used to carve the Sunday roast, then prop it up on the carving fork to promote the production of dripping for later.

Top Bottom