Buying a decent sausage (ooh erh matron)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
English mustard is for food that is so disgusting that 100% of the flavour needs camouflaging by that rancid yellow sh!t. It belongs in the bin.
I'd agree, the ready made mustard is pretty horrible. Should be made with powdered mustard grains and water, makes a world of difference.

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
Has anyone tried “The Sausage Man”? German sausages at their finest plus all the German stuff that those Germans like, sauerkraut and beer too also available.
Here’s the linky
https://sausageman.co.uk/

figbat

Slippery scientist
Has anyone tried “The Sausage Man”? German sausages at their finest plus all the German stuff that those Germans like, sauerkraut and beer too also available.
Here’s the linky

Yes. I lived in Germany for a few years as a child and so have fond memories of the German sausage offerings. I have used TSM a few times and it’s all been great.

I also like the Dutch frikandel sausage but these are quite hard to find outside of The Netherlands.

An uncle of mine was very fond of bread and dripping.

He used to carve the Sunday roast, then prop it up on the carving fork to promote the production of dripping for later.

Ah, dripping on toast is one of life's little pleasures. :blush:

I always have a crock of Polish smalec in the fridge, which is a mixture of lard, rendered out smoked bacon fat (and bacon bits), fried onions, garlic, oregano (though I sometimes use sage when making), salt and black pepper. Good on toast, but also very good for frying. Makes the best fried bread ever.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I live in Cumbria. We do just fine for sausages! Plenty of fine sausage makers with multi generational experience and secret recipes handed down the generations. Good recipes at that!

I'm open to recommendations. My annual pilgrimage up to Keswick is due in early July. It used to be to get some Tomlinson's sausage rolls but they've started putting them in puff pastry rather than shortcrust, and it's just not on!

stephec

Legendary Member
Here’s the linky

I used to order sausages and schnitzel from them but a year or so ago their prices jumped and I've not had anything since.

Lidl do a decent two pack of schnitzel which is now my first choice.

I used to order sausages and schnitzel from them but a year or so ago their prices jumped and I've not had anything since.

Really GOOD schnitzel are *so* easy to make. They're regular menu items here chez Casa Reynard, and far better than anything you can buy.

The very easiest are the turkey ones. I use the packs of thinly-sliced turkey breast, no need for any other prep. Otherwise, I use pork steaks (loin or shoulder), and bash the living daylights out of them with a meat tenderizer until they're about breakfast plate sized.

Then, you'll need two large flat dishes - one with a couple of beaten eggs in (good for three to four schnitzel), and another with well-seasoned breadcrumbs*. You can choose your seasonings, but a mix of salt, pepper, thyme and smoked paprika is good.

Dip your meat in the egg and then into the breadcrumbs to coat. The repeat. US-stylee double dipping will give you a nice crunchy crust.

Shallow fry in hot oil until golden on both sides.

I make my own breadcrumbs using yellow sticker hot dog rolls. I break them up, dry them out in the oven, then toast them lightly before whizzing them up in a food processor.

DRM

Guru
A splash of cooking oil is fine. You don't need that much (just enough to stop the onions from catching as they sweat), as you'll get the fat from the sausages too, as they cook. Which in turn gives the onions a lovely flavour.

I've always got beef dripping to hand, as I use it in my deep fat fryer. Makes the best chips ever. :hungry:

Mucky fat, with a pinch of salt & pepper is delicous on a pork sarnie, but is definately no good for your arteries!

dicko

Guru
Yes. I lived in Germany for a few years as a child and so have fond memories of the German sausage offerings. I have used TSM a few times and it’s all been great.

I also like the Dutch frikandel sausage but these are quite hard to find outside of The Netherlands.

I too spent my childhood in Germany these sausages bring back fond memories. Frikandel is available from Lidl, weather they are of Dutch manufacture I don’t know.

dicko

Guru

I ordered my sausages with a trial pack of German beer, unfortunately the delivery people had broken the six bottles. My money was refunded.

Top Bottom