Buying a decent sausage (ooh erh matron)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
For years I supported a local butcher and still do for meat/bacon etc but recently, when I asked a direct question, he admitted that they no longer make their own sausages.
This morning I read a test report that claims out of 12 suppliers Aldi came joint 1st.
I am going there shortly and thought I will try them.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The pork & apple sausages from Aldi are lovely, we cook them in the air fryer;
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/...ramley-apple-pork-sausages-400g/4088600300092

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For the somewhat widely marketed ones we buy the "Black Farmer" brand. Always good

We're slightly limited in that Mrs PP has to have gluten free food, which rules out quite a few otherwise perfectly Ok sausages

PeskyWabbits

Regular
Hello
I grow my own meat - pigs are easier to keep than hens, then get a decent butcher to make sausages. I use Thomas Shepherson In Marsden

You get about 40 KG of sausages per pig, plus the usual joints

If back garden pig keeping isn’t for you, you could just approach a butcher (with a good reputation) and ask for them to make sausages.
I would look to club together with friends to make it worthwhile

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hello
I grow my own meat - pigs are easier to keep than hens, then get a decent butcher to make sausages. I use Thomas Shepherson In Marsden

If back garden pig keeping isn’t for you, you could just approach a butcher (with a good reputation) and ask for them to make sausages.

Just make sure he really does make his own. I have used the same butcher for many years but recently found out that he stopped making his own some time ago, very disappointing.

DRM

Guru
Hello

Reminds me of a friend of ours who was a Farm Manager, he was doing a BBQ and said try one of these sausages and tell me what you think, the sausage was one of the nicest I've ever had, and said so, he replied with that's good the local butcher did them for me, you won't get much fresher, they were walking round the Pig Unit last week!

Top Bottom