Buying a rusty bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A bike I have been looking for has come up pretty cheap, 3 years old. but photos show its rusty.

The seller says "cosmetic rust" and from photos it can be seen on frame, handle bars, bell, pedal crank arm and some of the spokes. I presume it has been left outside.

I am desperate for a bike since lockdown and this would be my first bike. I want one at the moment just for getting confident riding, which is why i'm looking for second hand and do not have much to spend.

Would the rust be warning signs? Is there anything I should look out for more than the rust? How much would I be looking at to clean the rust/ repaint.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any insight :smile:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Hello and welcome to the forum. True, rust can be little more than cosmetic and easily removed but if it has really taken hold of unprotected metal, it can ruin your day. I have had cars that lost a measurable weight every time you closed a door!

At the very least you would want to make sure everything that should move; does. Does the seat post (the bit that holds the saddle) move if you loosen the bolt? Like wise the handlebar stem. Are the cables nice and free if you pull on the brakes? It it has gears, do they shift? That sort of thing.

Ask these questions if you're remote from the bike. You might need some of them to move to make it fit you.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Loren and welcome to the forum.
if the bike is only three years old the rust is unlikely to be terminal and more likely to be cosmetic. Removing it will leave marks that might not look good but t should still be serviceable. If it’s been left outside you’ll probably need to replace the brake and gear cables. could you post a pic of the bike?

OP
OP
L

Lorencycle

Hello Loren and welcome to the forum.
if the bike is only three years old the rust is unlikely to be terminal and more likely to be cosmetic. Removing it will leave marks that might not look good but t should still be serviceable. If it’s been left outside you’ll probably need to replace the brake and gear cables. could you post a pic of the bike?

Thank you both,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 22.35.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 22.35.04.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 22.34.57.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 22.34.57.png
    276.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 22.34.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 22.34.45.png
    472.5 KB · Views: 45

Gunk

Guru
Wire wool and WD40 and use a wire brush attachment on an electric drill for the worst patches. that will come up a treat. Cut the frame back with T Cut and you’ll be surprised at how well it will end up looking.

No need to touch in the rust patches, just rub in some oil.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s really very minor. I think you’ll find most will come off with vinegar and wire wool or aluminium (cooking) foil. For the bare metal that is left try finding a matching nail varnish and touch in with that or go to your local model shop and get a small Humbrol tinlet for a couple of quid.
Give the chain a good oil too and you’ll be good to go.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
All that said above fine, but I'd not pay much for it

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've got bikes with far more rust on them than that, and I just ride the things, having made no effort whatsoever to clean them up. If I'm just knocking about on a cheap banger, I couldn't care less what it looks like or what anyone else thinks of it, so long as it steers and stops, and doesn't make any mechanical noises it shouldn't. Cosmetics mean nothing on low value bikes and are not worth worrying about.

Top Bottom