1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying advice - Specialized Diverge

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by TGG, 10 Nov 2016.

1. TGG

TGG Active Member

Hello All,

I've just bought a new Specialized Diverge, and whilst the bike is great, the assembly is disturbing.

If you are thinking of buying yourself or your kids a new bike for Christmas, literally check everything on it before it leaves the store (regardless of where you buy it). Don't assume that some "qualified" technician has properly built and safety checked it. You should check everything, or if you don't know much about bikes, borrow someone that does!

My experience is not a good one:

http://thegasgranny5.wixsite.com/badevans

Good luck!

TGG.

2. Drago

Drago Guru

I wish my life was so empty that I had time to create a web page detailing items of such little consequence.

Liz Su and Racing roadkill like this.
  3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Did you allow them to rectify before spending all that time on your blog?

I'm not sure many bike shops actually builds the bikes to that extent. I thought they arrive assembled and boxed from the manufacturer, albeit with handlebars askew, possibly wheels and saddle off?

Roadrider48 likes this.
  4. mattobrien

mattobrien Über Member

Oily hand prints :eek: I'm surprised it didn't go straight back to the shop for a full refund.

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

LOL
    Rear brake cable too long..

LOL, solution, a simple case of bending it slightly.

Oldbloke, raleighnut and Drago like this.
  6. TGG

TGG Active Member

:blush:

My point is, no matter where you buy a bike from, check it thoroughly before you get it home. Evans don't want anything to do with it now I've made the proper adjustments because I may have damaged it. Wtf.

7. TGG

TGG Active Member

Yet you found the time to reply.

Goggs likes this.
  8. vickster

If you don't like handprints, buying a Matt finish grey bike may not be the right choice :smile:

9. Roadrider48

Roadrider48 Voice of the people

I bet Evans are gutted.

10. vickster

If I was forced to buy a Specialized, I'd at least support an independent, given Spesh's level of price control

raleighnut likes this.
  11. TGG

TGG Active Member

I'm fine with my own oily hand prints :smile:

12. TGG

TGG Active Member

:smile: simple case of shortening it... Oh but now Evans are washing their hands of it because I've worked on it.

13. Apollonius

Apollonius Über Member

Might the "oily hand-prints" be grease from the chickens on the gears?

When i bought a bike from Evans 3 years ago, nothing was too much trouble. This was the one at Manchester Velodrome.

14. Racing roadkill

Racing roadkill Veteran

If I found evidence of incorrect cable rounting, I'd be livid. As for finding birds clagging up my front mech and brakes, well I'd be incandescent with rage.

15. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

Could you post the blog text instead of a link

S-Express likes this.