Buying advice - Specialized Diverge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Could you post the blog text instead of a link
Well, what can one say.................:ohmy:

http://thegasgranny5.wixsite.com/badevans
It started off bad, and just got worse.

After getting over the general excitement of having a new bike (my old TREK was showing the signs of doing almost 15,000 miles) it was time to collect my new bike.

I arrived at my appointment at Evans (Leicester Branch) slightly late, which was a good thing, because my shiny new Specialized Diverge 2017 was still being assembled. (hmm, I'm sure I had an email three days earlier to say it was in-store and would be ready for collection at 11am on the 30th Oct 2016) Oh well, I had a bit of shopping to do so popped back 15 mins later when I was assured it would be all sorted.

I popped back, and sure enough, it was off the assembly stand. After a chat with the fitting guy, we completed the basic fit, I handed over my CycleScheme Voucher and wheeled the bike out to the car. (mistake number 1)

However, when I got home, this is what I found:

a3269f_d0fa3ef063ea4a30826100de5b109f61%7Emv2_d_2592_1944_s_2.jpg

a3269f_ea1e1b81d7e2437bbbb8563c79defe49%7Emv2_d_2592_1944_s_2.jpg

a3269f_04440d67cb60436eb7ddf09d11a2a9c6%7Emv2_d_1944_2592_s_2.jpg

a3269f_9ee829dc924d4a74966514cf8cb00439%7Emv2_d_2592_1944_s_2.jpg

Rear brake cable too long which was catching on the frame

Oily hand prints all over the frame (not mine!)

a3269f_c764d23de80c457199214eaaba6b295b%7Emv2_d_2592_1944_s_2.jpg

I believe the Evans bike technician was rushed and missed the simple checks which resulted in me having a potentially dangerous bike.

Good job I have nearly 30 years of bike experience and the proper tools to fix this..... er bad idea. Now Evans have washed their hands of the bike because I have touched it, or I should say, corrected their mistakes and made it safe.

This is my experience but unfortunately, I've heard similar stories from other bike shops. I have found Evans customer service to be pretty bad, and the assembly of their bikes even worse!

Incorrect cable rounting resulting in fowling of the rear brake and front derailleur

I'LL NEVER PUT ANOTHER QUID IN THEIR TILL!

Drago

Legendary Member
Yet you found the time to reply.
Because I'm retired and get paid to sit in my garden cabin and drink coffee all day.

dim

I bought a brand new Surly Long Haul Trucker from a bike shop in Portsmouth .... had the bike couriered to me. Arrived safely, but on the 1st ride, one of the bar end shifters fell off (was still attached to the cable, so I never lost it) .... I took the bike to my local bike shop to have it sorted, and there was loads wrong with the assembly, including the rear derailer not mounted properly, and the front wheel was not true and needed to have the spokes tensioned

I tried to get a £30 voucher or refund from the supplier in Portsmouth as my local bike shop emailed me the list and prices of what was wrong, and I never heard from the seller, so just put it down to a bad experience or bad luck

to be fair to Evans, I am pretty use that the bikes come with the cabling done from the factory and they dont really touch that.

Oily hand prints etc, that is poor, however on the other hand the Kings Cross branch has been brilliant, so I guess its horses for courses.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I've found Evans customer service to be excellent from both their Guildford store and head office. All thou I had a faulty bike delivered they sorted it out and I received £300 in vouchers.

Oxo

Guru
Several weeks ago my wife bought a new bike from Evans in Leeds. Checking over it before taking it out of the shop I noticed a slight flaw in the finish . They immediately said they would get a replacement which would take 3 days and she could take the original to ride until it arrived.
Excellent service and excellent customer relations.

S-Express

Hello All,

I've just bought a new Specialized Diverge, and whilst the bike is great, the assembly is disturbing.

If you are thinking of buying yourself or your kids a new bike for Christmas, literally check everything on it before it leaves the store (regardless of where you buy it). Don't assume that some "qualified" technician has properly built and safety checked it. You should check everything, or if you don't know much about bikes, borrow someone that does!

My experience is not a good one:

http://thegasgranny5.wixsite.com/badevans

Good luck!

TGG.

What a waste of time that was. Last time I had my car serviced, the mechanic left the paper cover over the driver's seat. I was so angry I wrote a blog about it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I looked at this thread as a friend asked me to recommend a bike for a mix of road ,canal path ,forest tracks etc.I was tempted to recommend a diverge with bigger tyres.

Any owners of a Diverge with any comments please.

Julia9054

Guru
I looked at this thread as a friend asked me to recommend a bike for a mix of road ,canal path ,forest tracks etc.I was tempted to recommend a diverge with bigger tyres.

Any owners of a Diverge with any comments please.
I have had mine for about 2 years and use it as my commuter bike with mudguards and a rack fitted. It is not quite as exciting to ride as my other road bike but is much more versatile. It handles paths and tracks very well. Last summer I took it to France and did a fair bit of touring about loaded up and on all sorts of terrain. I have removed rack etc, changed tyres and raced cyclocross on it (an experience I don't intend to repeat - my limitations not the bike's!)
The only thing that annoys me about it is a certain amount of toe overlap although I am used to it now and it could be because I ride an xs frame. Overall, very happy with it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thnks Julia .Sounds like your Diverge has stood up to some serious use and abuse which is the kind of recommendation I was looking for.

I think xs frames generally suffer more from toe overlap I had it on my last bike and after a while getting used to it it wasn't a problem anymore. My mate would be a medium or possibly large so its something I can mention to him.

Top Bottom