Buying my own components and asking LBS to install them for me

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

Hello all

I have a problem with not trusting my LBS or shop people in general. I see the transactions they and I might have in a game-theoretic way. That is, our goals are opposite: theirs is to maximise profit and mine, to minimise cost. Yet we sometimes need to cooperate to achieve our separate, incompatible goals and come out with a result we can both live with.

Sorry for rambling.

To get to the point, I will have to change the pressfit BB on my bike at some point. The LBS will want to charge me the full price for a new BB plus margin which I can find for less online. Then they will want to charge for things like removing the chain and crankset which I can do. I don't want to buy BB remover and BB press, therefore I need their service. But I don't want to pay for these extra stuff which I can do myself. In fact, if I can borrow the tools for a fee I'd do that.

I just think I'll feel awkward bringing the bike in with the crankset removed and a new BB in my hand, telling them: "Here's a new BB, all I want is you to remove the old BB and put this new one in and charge me EXACTLY for that."

Yes, I am neurotic. But does anyone do this? Would it be rude to?

They can get the BB for cheaper than you can.
Take your bike in and ask them to fit the BB that you'll buy from them.

Just seems rude to buy it yourself. You need the shop so keep them going.

They can get the BB for cheaper than you can.
Take your bike in and ask them to fit the BB that you'll buy from them.

Just seems rude to buy it yourself. You need the shop so keep them going.
They may buy it cheaper but the point is what price will they sell it him? I would simply ask and if they are happy to do it then so be it I would buy it elsewhere to save money. The complication is if there is a fault with the item you buy and they can't fit it you have paid for their services and they hand it back which admittedly is unlikely but if they supply it they will simply replace it with another from stock.

The bigger the difference in price the more likely I would be to supply my own.

Twilkes

Guru
For numerous extensive examples (the most recent being charged £16 for two pairs of no-name brake pad inserts) I don't feel any loyalty or obligation to any LBSs, and feel fine with ordering parts online instead of shopping with them, it's part of the general move away from physical stores in all areas of life (and it's not just price, most of the time shops I go into have little knowledge about what they're selling compared to what i can find out online, and usually a limited range in stock).

But if I order something online I'm going to be fitting it myself, wouldn't feel right taking a bunch of parts into a bike shop and asking them to fit them, it's one or the other.

On the plus side, I have a spare Lifeline pressfit BB remover and press that's barely used and I can let you have for £20 plus postage, PM if interested. :smile:

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hello all

I have a problem with not trusting my LBS or shop people in general. I see the transactions they and I might have in a game-theoretic way. That is, our goals are opposite: theirs is to maximise profit and mine, to minimise cost. Yet we sometimes need to cooperate to achieve our separate, incompatible goals and come out with a result we can both live with.

Sorry for rambling.

To get to the point, I will have to change the pressfit BB on my bike at some point. The LBS will want to charge me the full price for a new BB plus margin which I can find for less online. Then they will want to charge for things like removing the chain and crankset which I can do. I don't want to buy BB remover and BB press, therefore I need their service. But I don't want to pay for these extra stuff which I can do myself. In fact, if I can borrow the tools for a fee I'd do that.

I just think I'll feel awkward bringing the bike in with the crankset removed and a new BB in my hand, telling them: "Here's a new BB, all I want is you to remove the old BB and put this new one in and charge me EXACTLY for that."

My LBS would happily do that without question.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello all

Sorry for rambling.

I think you're taking the mick with the LBS, you'll never build a relationship with any retailer with this approach meaning you're always going to mistrust them.

Learn to do it yourself or allow the LBS to make a decent living.

Why not ask them how much they charge with the parts and with the parts that you purchased. You can make an informed decision. You also can also call up other LBS and pick the option that you are comfortable. You of course need to know what are the parts that you need to acquire. They will charge cover their cost plus the profit margin.

Most LBS or all LBS (that I know) do fittings based on parts provided by the owner.

Don't buy into the nonsense that you are killing their trade or denying them a living. Many of us buys parts for our new homes, for home renovation, DIY because we just can't afford the full price. LBS understand that they are in business. I am sure they proud enough not be considered a charity case or depend on sympathy buys.

There is another pschobable about building relationship. I can understand when it comes to doctors, lawyers, accountants and maybe your insurance brokers etc. What about building relationships with LIDL, Aldi, Boots, your baker, bike fit technician etc. Just be nice, considerate and fair to one and all and you are good to go. If you like a good outlet and you patronise them often, they will recognise them and there is reciprocity. But if they can't offer a better price, no issues if you can find one that can. They won't kill themselves knowing what you did. Its a business not a religious cult.

Chislenko

Veteran
I would go down your original route of buying the BB elsewhere, stripping the bike down and then taking it in just for him to fit the BB at the cheapest possible price. (You could supply your own grease!)

Subsequently, maybe a couple of years later, you will be able to start a thread on here bemoaning the closing down of your local LBS.

Please also remind yourself that you didn't want to buy one BB removal tool and then have a think how many different ones the LBS has to buy to be able to service different BB's on different bikes.

What you could also do if he has a cafe in his bike shop is take your own coffee and ask him for some free hot water!

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Then they will want to charge for things like removing the chain and crankset which I can do. I don't want to buy BB remover and BB press, therefore I need their service. But I don't want to pay for these extra stuff which I can do myself. In fact, if I can borrow the tools for a fee I'd do that.

You're 80% of the way there if you know how to remove the chain set and chain. No special tool needed. Just threaded bar with two washers.

Top Bottom