Buying my own components and asking LBS to install them for me

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I don't want to buy BB remover and BB press, therefore I need their service. But I don't want to pay for these extra stuff which I can do myself. In fact, if I can borrow the tools for a fee I'd do that.

There are some LBS's that will allow you to go in and use their tools either free of charge or for a small fee so long as you are doing the work yourself and not requiring any elbow grease or guidance from them.

If they do step in to give you a hand or some guidance, Just make sure to tip them on the way out -- Or just tip them anyway for allowing you to use their tools. I think my LBS charges £20-35 for BB work. Drop them £5-10 for use of their workshop, youre still saving money either way.

Chislenko

Veteran
To be honest I feel like saying "if you can't afford the upkeep don't buy the f--king bike" but obviously I am too polite to say something like that.

If you resent paying an expert, become an expert yourself.

This all day, and all night.

Edit: looks like Twilkes beat me to it! May I suggest you look if you can find a charity/community mechanic if you have one near you, they often teach basic bike maintenance, take your bike and they may be able to lend you their tools, and give some pointers.

pressfit BB replacement is an easy job, and the tools are inexpensive, if you think out of the box, you can make a press tool from a inexpensive threaded rod and nuts, all you need is the punch tool to remove the old one, and IIRC, the park tool kit came with the face presses I needed for my rod.

The other solution is to sell your bike with a press fit bottom bracket, since they are spawn of the devil, and buy something with a classic english bb system, simply to preserve your sanity. Pressfit are pure evil.

Last edited:
There's a great one in Glasgow, and they would be more than happy for anyone to turn up to work on their own bike regardless of what it is, I think you can also book a bike in for them to work on too. I had borrowed a friend's old Tifosi to get there and they even knew that it was one of the first Campagnolo 10 speeds so they know and appreciate this stuff. The impression I get is a lot of the half-decent donations of old bikes and parts they receive come from people who also own decent bikes, which helps them bring the snotter bikes up to speed to sell to the people who need them (or to sell to middle-class folk looking for a bargain, their throughput seems large enough that they really don't mind who uses their service, it's more about keeping bikes on the road and getting people riding them).
Agreed, in fact, getting more people to use these services helps them keep going, and I would hope anyone that benefits from them, would be in turn keen to support them either with a small donation or offer of time to pay back. If you believe in community services, better use them or lose them, whether that be LBS experts or community groups. For DIY orientated folk, the latter certainly makes more sense.

Sallar55

Veteran
Buying off the Internet or evilbay is OK if you have the tools. Everything moves on and that means you have to buy new tools as each bike manufacturer has decided to have non standard fittings locking you into its system. Today it's cheaper to let the LBS do some work on the bike. As one LBS person said, the internet selling has hit the shops but the repairs, fitting cassettes, chains and upgrades keeps us going as a lot of people don't buy the tools. Another one is integrated cabling, a nightmare as some bikes need a strip down to change a cable or hose.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Haha yes. What I mean is that I could do them, not that I always have the time to or the right tools. In other words, it wouldn't be a disaster for me if physical bike shops disappeared. I'd just have to buy all the tools.

I think your answer to your original post lies in the quoted post.

Either be sensible and let the LBS sort everything and suck up the cost or buy the tools and do it yourself.

You clearly have a dim view of LBS's due to their (shock, horror) wanting to maximise their already *iss poor margins - so my advice is to buy the tools and crack on yourself. 👍

And then hope that the good people of CC help you muddle through. 🙂

Gunk

Guru
Another one is integrated cabling, a nightmare as some bikes need a strip down to change a cable or hose.

I just built up my first frame with integrated cables (and a press fit BB 🤣) and although it took longer, it was no where near as difficult as I anticipated it to be. The results are worth it, the frame looks so clean without any cabling.

Chislenko

Veteran
I feel like saying grow up but it would be pointless

Don't see your point, if there was one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Had a phone call from my LBS about a BB problem. Apparently a specific BB tool is needed for my Cervelo. The LBS doesn't have this particular tool. The phone call was to explain this, keep me informed and to say they have ordered the correct tool for my bike. The tool should arrive tomorrow and bike ready Thursday.

Try saving a couple of quid buying a BB online and asking LBS to provide this outstanding level of service.

I'm always happy to pay the price and never dream of taking the piss by purchasing a BB online.

That's what 20 years loyalty buys you.

alchurch

You can buy cheap stuff on the internet.Some things may come without even being wrapped /boxed properly. Is is a non conforming part? has it been purchased and rejected by someone else? is it sold cheap by someone who cuts corners by poor quality control? OK we love it, if we can get something cheap we are happy we got the bargain, but from a LBS point of view, if they fit it, how can they guarantee the effectiveness of their work? They are putting their reputation at risk. Using approved parts at their current manufacturing revision, and having them expertly fitted should guarantee a good result, at a cost of course.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My mate runs a cycle repair business from home, and is also mobile with his little three wheel van (that seems to break down). The state of the bikes he's asked to fix. Sent in completely covered in crap, so he's got to clean it first before working on it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Don't see your point, if th

Had a phone call from my LBS about a BB problem. Apparently a specific BB tool is needed for my Cervelo. The LBS doesn't have this particular tool. The phone call was to explain this, keep me informed and to say they have ordered the correct tool for my bike. The tool should arrive tomorrow and bike ready Thursday.

Try saving a couple of quid buying a BB online and asking LBS to provide this outstanding level of service.

I'm always happy to pay the price and never dream of taking the piss by purchasing a BB online.

That's what 20 years loyalty buys you.
That don't sound right, i have two Cervelo's never needed a special tool. the standard BB tools work, Also a shop that repairs bikes should have all the tools. Just saying.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That don't sound right, i have two Cervelo's never needed a special tool. the standard BB tools work, Also a shop that repairs bikes should have all the tools. Just saying.
All?

If I took an old wheel with a weird freewheel block into a shop and they said "We don't have the extractor for that" I wouldn't think any the less of them. Or if I took my Brompton into a shop (other than a Brompton dealer) I wouldn't be surprised if they said "what the F is that? We're not touching it". ;)

So if a Cervelo needs a special tool, I wouldn't necessarily expect every single bike shop in the land to have that tool.

Top Bottom