Buying Shares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Timing the market is trading.
Changing a portfolio is changing your risk strategy, not trading, or indeed timing the markets.

Portfolios are made up of equity plus gilts, bonds, gold cash etc etc. You can choose your mix.

As for the rest, google it.
Why would you change your risk strategy? Think the equity markets going to go down?
Move more into gold because of the latter?

Brads

What are you talking about ?

I would suggest you get some professional advise before doing anything with money because you don't really seem to have a grasp of investing.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why would you change your risk strategy? Think the equity markets going to go down?
Move more into gold because of the latter?

There are all sorts of reasons to change one's portfolio split e.g. 'lifestyling' because one may wish to reduce exposure to equities and increase in bonds as one nears the retirement age.

Whilst bonds have a lower return long term, they are safer option and so, someone who wishes to protect their equity gains may move some of the holding to this 'defensive' option.

What are you talking about ?

I would suggest you get some professional advise before doing anything with money because you don't really seem to have a grasp of investing.
You need to read my posts. I have more grasp on investing than you will ever have.

There are all sorts of reasons to change one's portfolio split e.g. 'lifestyling' because one may wish to reduce exposure to equities and increase in bonds as one nears the retirement age.

Whilst bonds have a lower return long term, they are safer option and so, someone who wishes to protect their equity gains may move some of the holding to this 'defensive' option.
My personal choice would be dividend bias investment trusts. Ones with a good dividend reserve to get them through hard times. Funds etfs have to give all their income to investors. Possibly some bonds.....in a different era. Not now as you will get bugger all in terms of interest. AND we are in what Warren buffet would call a "unknown unknown " as opposed to a "known unknown". Lots of bonds have fallen dramatically in price/value. Due to expected default. Of course this is because I have the benefit of hindsight!!!
And luck!!

I through 3k at Lloyds today, best part of 9k shares, couldn't leave them there at the price, they can keep all the rest of theirs I have company until times get better.

Chairman has said "He will honour missed dividends", yeah right!

Don't understand you. You bought £3000 worth of shares giving you a total of £9000?
"Keep all the rest of theirs" ? Don't understand?
The banks are being expected to act as an arm of the government. If they lent money or gave people and businesses payment holidays in the way they are and to the extent that they are, they would be held to account by both the government and the PRA.
They are almost certainly making loses, where does chairman expect to find the money to pay the dividend?
Banks make profits based on the margin between what they borrow at and what they lend at. The lower interest rates are the harder it is for them to make a good return. With interest rates the way they are they are buggered!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't understand you. You bought £3000 worth of shares giving you a total of £9000?
"Keep all the rest of theirs" ? Don't understand?
The banks are being expected to act as an arm of the government. If they lent money or gave people and businesses payment holidays in the way they are and to the extent that they are, they would be held to account by both the government and the PRA.
They are almost certainly making loses, where does chairman expect to find the money to pay the dividend?
Banks make profits based on the margin between what they borrow at and what they lend at. The lower interest rates are the harder it is for them to make a good return. With interest rates the way they are they are buggered!!
I read it as he got 9000 shares for £3k (33p a share?)

(I assume through = threw?) The rest indeed makes no sense

Got it. I should have checked the share price.
It's more than halved but there are plenty of other companies whose share price have fallen further...a lot further. Not for me though, not when the government can treat them like they belong to the government......we are not in China!!

Interesting
"(Sharecast News) - UK banks have warned that up to half the £18.5bn "bounce back" loans they make to small businesses during the Covid-19 crisis are unlikely to be repaid, according to a report.
As the prospect of a quick recovery from the economic lockdown fades, three senior bankers told the Financial Times that between 40% and 50% of the 608,000 borrowers under the government loan programme could default on the loans.

The loans of up to £50,000 are 100% backed by the government, leaving the banks with no credit risk. But lenders are worried about a logistically impossible "PR disaster" of pursuing hundreds of thousands of smaller enterprises for the money"
Only part of the report from
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/l/lloyds-banking-group-plc-ordinary-10p/share-news
Click on news

The only advice I ever give on shares is if someone is on the internet saying how clever they are and how stupid everyone else is, how they're right and everyone else is wrong, it's generally best to ignore their "advice"
Although I don't give advice, I am happy to state facts. The average investment Trust trades below its net asset value (its intrinsic value). Other than etfs, the average Investment Trust have lower fees than funds. Most importantly in a crash the share price fall further than the net asset values sometimes much much further. Smithson investment Trust, which has not been around long but has always traded at premium ie at share price greater than it's actually value. Over the last year (june 6th 2019 to today) it is up 26.5%. Worthy I think of 2.3% premium. It fell during the crash to 19% discount. For every 81p you got a 100p of assets. Obviously its assets fell as well.
Lowest end of day trade 870p over the last year
Highest 1494p. Both prices are recent.
Present price buy 1492p sell 1488p.
You wouldn't need to buy at the bottom to be quids in.
That's not advice that's facts!!

Last edited:
The only advice I ever give on shares is if someone is on the internet saying how clever they are and how stupid everyone else is, how they're right and everyone else is wrong, it's generally best to ignore their "advice"
Another examples of that is,
the stockmarket is going to crash
the stockmarket is going to crash etc etc etc
The stockmarket crashes...
Told you so.....yeah for the last 3 years, anyone who ignored them would be better off.
The pundits abound and no doubt they are saying I told you so now. They will of course have based there advice on a completely different scenario!

Last edited:
Top Bottom