Buying Shares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A better example
Perpetual income and growth
Opening price
184.60p
Year high
342p
Year low
157p
Based on present price 80% gain to get back to year high.
Present dividend 7.75%
Better still if you had it closer to the bottom!!
I bought these on a 26% discount (discount are always out of date by at least one day). That is 74p for every 100p worth of assets (underlying shares owned by the investment Trust). It traded at an average of 16% discount for the previous year. A terrible investment trust over 5 years excellent for the previous 15 years. The manager and management company had been sacked from the Edinburgh investment Trust. The assumption by me and to certain degree the market was he would get the sack from perpetual. He did in April and the shares jumped 6% and drifted back down. The directors then do whats called a "beauty parade" for a new manager, which should take 6 months. A good choice was a merger with Edinburgh. Which would result in lower cost both management and ongoing. A big surprise after four months they decided on a merger with Murray income. For perpetual a very big reduction in costs smaller for Murray. But the merger terms were staggeringly good for perpetual.
1 perpetual gets shares in Murray at NAV (the underlying asset values of perpetual not there share price)
2 the dividend reserve of perpetual is paid to them before the merger. (basically doubling my dividend for the year)
3 Perpetual shares up Murray income shares down...which means we (perpetual gets more shares for our money)
I doubled up immediately. The market has drifted down so on average I am only 5% up but still am on very tasty dividend.
Murray pays a lower dividend but its share price growth is considerably higher. Not difficult when perpetual is down about 40% over 5 years.
Both perpetual shareholders and Murray income shareholders have to agree? I maybe being very hopeful that Murray shareholders will vote for the merger.
The point of course is there is always a certain amount of luck involved.

NOT ADVISE
Legal and general bought some about 3 years ago. At a big loss now but on a 6.8% dividend so don't care. Also bought some during crash. Still in profit on them and 10.5% dividend. Bought no where near the bottom of the market.

Profits have fallen due to coronavirus. Mainly paper loses on bonds in the annuities pool. They only become real losses if they sell them or they default. They have no intentions of selling as they buy them for the interest.

Until today there has been a steady decline in the share price for no apparent reasons. As in no bad news (other than decline in profits which was expected). A bit of a jump today as some US fund company has been buying and announced via RNS that they own sufficient to have to announce it to the market (near 5%).
I seen this once before a couple of years back the same thing a steady decline in share price for no apparent reason and then a steady (albeit quicker) reversal finishing with a new high. I call this momentum selling as opposed to the highly fashionable momentum buying.
I have gone from a 40% share price increase on the second purchase to 12% today and some of that was due to 5% increase today. Just checked dividend if bought today is 9.5%.
Last dividend announcement was to keep it the same as last year. A surprise to the market as it was expected to increase it by the normal 7%.

Note despite the pressure by PRI that insurance companies should consider wherever to pay dividends legal and general have said they will continue pay.

They have furloughed no member of staff and everyone was kept on full pay.

I am looking at this in 2 ways, should I get in now or should I wait to see if there's a no deal brexit. Which inevitably will see a market decline even for those companies who will not be affected or have a Minimum effect.
Problem is I have rather a lot of L&G shares as is.

Anyway some maybe looking for a "lower risk" dividend share. Buy at your own risk this is not advice. If you buy and loose money, tough.

Hargreaves Lansdown research
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-...eral-group-plc-ord-2.5p-shares/share-research

As i thought might happen (emphasis on might!). The price is creeping up 180p to 201. Dividend bought today at 201p is 8.72%.
But Brexit without an agreement:- down with an agreement;- up.
In the case of an agreement a big jump.
In the case of no agreement a big fall.
Percentage wise which will be the bigger?
I would say.......no idea!!

Last edited:
I think come Monday we may see a significant fall in the market!!
I am going to go with greater than 5%.
Well wrong, minimal fall. I should watch the news more. It must have been expected ie in the price.

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I think come Monday we may see a significant fall in the market!!
I am going to go with greater than 5%.
Screenshot_2020-11-02-13-39-09-174_com.android.chrome.jpg

Bullish lockdowns

Staggering share price rises today FTSE 100 up 4.6% FTSE 250 up 5.2%.
My biggest investment by a long way is legal and General up 14%. Why you may ask? I got no idea!

Top Bottom