By gad Curuthers, the heat the dust the flies....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
NO, NOT Thanet, thank you very much!!
To my ongoing and eternal shame I was born on Thanet, just outside Ramsgit near Manston airfield. My grandparents lived there and my grandad had a heart attack. My pregnant mum and my dad rushed down from the northern isles to be with him (a 2 day journey then) and all the excitement caused me to pop out a few weeks early.

On the plus side, I'm a Man of Kent, and not some second class grovelling weakling deformed hunchback Kentish Man.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ok not much dust or flies, but plenty heat.
Multiple 30C plus days, And 20C plus nights is starting to take its toll. Poor sleep is building-up to a state of temperature induced lethargy.
Couldn’t raise the enthusiasm for an early bike ride or swim this morning!

When will we be delivered from this madness?
Should I break out the Malaria and Salt tabs and increase my gin and tonic consumption?
It's only the first time since 1976, remember that summer, that the nighttime temperature has been above 20°C for five consecutive nights.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's only the first time since 1976, remember that summer, that the nighttime temperature has been above 20°C for five consecutive nights.

I did wonder on the stats as Paul Hudson was saying there had only been a handful of tropical nights (20°C) between 1990 and 2010?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've a big ceiling fan above my bed. Aside from being pleasantly cool, it's like gunning a Hurricane for take off.

'll tell you this, the next drink I have's gonna be a lager. Ice cold. There's a little bar in Alex with a marble top counter and high stools. They serve the best beer in all the middle east. When we get through with this lot I'm gonna buy you one. I'll buy you all one.
make sure you get one for Anthony Quayle too if he's still standing ! I' stick to pastie 7 parts water a great refreshing drink as for 1976 what a scorcher 6 weeks of it queuing up for water too happy Days. I been getting out early its the only time when its reasonably cool

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'll tell you this, the next drink I have's gonna be a lager. Ice cold. There's a little bar in Alex with a marble top counter and high stools. They serve the best beer in all the middle east. When we get through with this lot I'm gonna buy you one. I'll buy you all one.
Well the local lager is rather like a mouldy rice pudding....

Last edited:
Top Bottom