Bye bye p*nct*re fairy, it was nice knowing you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know a few people who use them, including one who says you have to remember they deform differently when cornering and another who I think might not be back on the bike yet after crashing off them and breaking bones. :eek: I'll keep on repairing the blessedly-rare punctures, thanks. Tubeless seems more attractive and I've still not gotten round to that.

subaqua

What’s the point
is this going to be like the vinyl thread ?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can see the attraction for a commuter but I'm not sure about the comfort and the handling; I love my Veloflex cotton-wall tyres, they are super smooth and grippy and not very prone to flats.

Lonestar

Veteran
Workmate is using them...He said they are heavy going...He's dropped five stone though.

Don't go sticking them on the new TT bike - it definitely won't be going round corners.

Don't you mean you'd have the turning circle of a cruise ship?

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
How easy are they to remove from the rim if you have to replace a spoke?
To replace a spoke, you have to 'snip' three of the plastic retaining pins ( there are little holes in the sides to allow this and the tyres come with spare pins) then lift the tyre up to get at the spoke nipple. If you have to take the whole tyre off, you can faff about snipping all the retaining pins, or just cut the tyre in half.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I can see the attraction for a commuter but I'm not sure about the comfort and the handling; I love my Veloflex cotton-wall tyres, they are super smooth and grippy and not very prone to flats.
That's why I've fitted them to the old Triban. I haven't got time to fix a flat on a morning commute. The other bikes are staying on D+.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
They certainly aren't for weight weenies or kit knobbers, but they are pretty good. I'll have to be a bit more careful to remember on the road bike ( hence the colour ). The Hybrid wasn't noticeabley different, not quite the same as pneumatics, but not as different in feel or ride as they are on the Roadie.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Does it come with spare retaining pins? Sorry for so many questions.
They do. You get 3 bags of pins, 3 colours for the three most common internal rim widths. Peach for the most common widths of road clincher, yellow for the most common widths of Hybrid rim, and black for the most common widths of MTB rim. Because they are plastic, there is a fair bit of interchangeability. You are supposed to measure the internal diameter of the rim with verniers, then use the pin that matches, it's easier to push one of the spare pins from each bag into the rim, and see which one fits best. You can then just rotate the pin and take it back out.

Top Bottom