Bye bye p*nct*re fairy, it was nice knowing you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
can't comment on the tannus having never tried, but i factor in ease of fix when choosing tyres, which is why i use folding tyres that, at least with a front wheel puncture, is only a 10-15 minute job to repair at the roadside. also means a spare can be carried, and that has saved me on occasion…

Looks like someone reinvented the wheel... doh.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
[QUOTE 4693352, member: 259"]Yebbut the point about these is you aren't ever likely to need to fix it at the roadside, you'll be doing it once every four years in a nice warm shed (or the living room if you can get away with it).[/QUOTE]
Here's hoping your right. It could be done roadside, I managed to get them fitted in about 10 minutes, with only tools I had with me, but it wouldn't be ideal on a cold, wet verge.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Do you have to repair slits and holes etc from glass or whatever or don't they affect the integrity of the tyre?

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Do you have to repair slits and holes etc from glass or whatever or don't they affect the integrity of the tyre?
The tyre isn't affected by cuts and holes, you would have to cut it to a depth of several inches, across the entire radius, or lose a chunk the size of a golf ball, to have a problem. If you hit something that caused that much damage, a tyre would be the least of your worries.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
28s would be great. You could run them at slightly lower pressure then.

Oh, hang on....
They've thought about that. There are two 'virtual pressures' available. 100 psi and 130 psi. I'm running the softer 100 psi 28s. I did a 30 mile test ride on back roads and nasty surfaces last night. Not only are they pretty much indistinguishable from a pumped up pneumatic tyre, as far as handling and grip go, but I deliberately rode over all sorts of spikey pointy stuff, and, didn't have to stop to sort out any punctures. Fancy that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
can't comment on the tannus having never tried, but i factor in ease of fix when choosing tyres, which is why i use folding tyres that, at least with a front wheel puncture, is only a 10-15 minute job to repair at the roadside. also means a spare can be carried, and that has saved me on occasion…
You can pop a spare one of these in your jersey pocket, they fold up nicely. You'd have to be doing something suicidely stupid to ever need the spare though. That's one of the best things about them, I went out on a ride last night, and packed a tube, levers and gas inflator. Then realised I didn't need to. I also brought a mini pump, again, no need. Not needing all that crap is going to take a bit of getting used to.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Here's hoping your right. It could be done roadside, I managed to get them fitted in about 10 minutes, with only tools I had with me, but it wouldn't be ideal on a cold, wet verge.
But, of course, you wouldn't need to, as you say.
Must admit, these are almost starting to sound tempting, at least for a hack.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Not really. 100psi in a 28 sounds ridiculous. I only ever used to run 85-90psi in 23s.
Do you get many pinch flats? I don't, running about 100 psi in all my pneumatic tyres, on road bikes ( 23, 25, and 28 ). I certainly won't get them on the solid tyres, and they don't feel drastically different. The only downside is the cost, but I'll limit the mileage, by running them on the commuter road bike ( which was the original idea anyway ). It's tempting to put them on all my road bikes, but the cost would be a bit :eek:.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
But, of course, you wouldn't need to, as you say.
Must admit, these are almost starting to sound tempting, at least for a hack.
I've given them a good workout, including cornering on a gravelly surface on a steep downhill, poor surfaces, and hills. They have taken no more getting used to than clipless pedals, or anything else that's new to anyone.

Top Bottom