Bye bye p*nct*re fairy, it was nice knowing you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Fair enough for use on a commute where you can sacrifice a bit of speed for total reliabillity .

On a 10 hour ride 8% would be more than the time to change 2 tubes .

Getting 2 punctures on an all day ride is fairly unlucky plus the legs get a rest while you are fixing a puncture so you ride a little quicker aftetwards .

If I am late for work occassionally the world keeps turning but I do appreciate some employers are less understanding than mine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Durano Plus are bomb proof, and gas will inflate tyres fast. I would never use solid tyres. There is a reason all most vehicles run on ones with air.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've had Tannus solids on one of my Hybrids for a while now. Today I fitted my ( smaller ) purchase from the bike show.
View attachment 338812

View attachment 338813

:thumbsup:

:hello: P*nct*re fairy, it was nice knowing you.

I did lose a bit of thumbnail fitting them, but I reckon that's a price worth paying. I've just test ridden a short route. All's good:bicycle:I got a 'show special' price on them, so the cost was actually quite reasonable as well.

Well done for fitting them yourself! Wowsa!

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Interesting. I'd imagined they would just be a little smaller than the rim and you'd give them a big heave to get them on and tension would keep them in place. It's obviously a bit more complex than that to secure them, and looks like quite a bit of work to fit:

tannus_tires_installation_09.png

tannus_tires_installation_10.png

tannus_tires_installation_13.png

tannus_tires_installation_14.png

Definitely not a roadside tyre change job ... ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If I am late for work occassionally the world keeps turning but I do appreciate some employers are less understanding than mine.
Some employers are nobbers. Especially the ones that frown at a cyclist who fixed a punctured tyre but allow motorists pathetic excuses like "I had a flat tyre", "I was stuck in a traffic jam" and "it was icy".

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Be interested in how you get on with these. Just had 3rd visit in as many weeks from the fairy on the commute home which is starting to get quite annoying

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Interesting. I'd imagined they would just be a little smaller than the rim and you'd give them a big heave to get them on and tension would keep them in place. It's obviously a bit more complex than that to secure them, and looks like quite a bit of work to fit:

View attachment 338951

View attachment 338952

View attachment 338953

View attachment 338954

Definitely not a roadside tyre change job ... ^_^
Not a roadside job, but I have perfected the technique. You feed the tyre on to the rim for about 12 inches, then click the pins in on that section. Then you don your cleated cycle shoes, place the tyre covered bit of the rim on a soft surface, stand with your cleats trapping the rim down. Then get the heavy duty tool ( supplied with the tyres) put it under the tyre ( between the rim and tyre, then heave the rest of the tyre up and over the rim and drop it into place. It's like the most severe resistance band work out you'll ever do, but it saves a lot of messing around. Then you just squeeze the tyre down into its fixed position and use a small pair of needle noses pliers to click the pins under the clincher hooks through the inspection holes, one by one. It's actually not that hard, but you do need the shoulder strength of a sliver back Gorilla, if you want to get the tyre on in one heave.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Be interested in how you get on with these. Just had 3rd visit in as many weeks from the fairy on the commute home which is starting to get quite annoying
I've just done the first 8 mile commute, using deliberately knackered roads with loads of sharp debris at the side, I got the bike up to reasonable speed and didn't have to slow down for the corners like I thought I would, they don't squirm under hard braking either, which is reassuring.

Top Bottom