C2C Route NCN7 @ Beamish Closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
Any C2C'ers heading to Sunderland.... As above, looks to be for bridge repairs, but watch out for the quality diversion signs !

There's one "road closed" sign on a barrier aproaching Beamish from the west and a single yellow diversion arrow, that puts you out on a public footpath, through a terrace of houses on to a small road that runs adjacent to the A693, then.... absolutely nothing.

Pure guess work got me back on to the track this afternoon, reaching it via High Handenhold.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks - I'll be going that way mid-April.

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member

There are no signs up of how long the closure is likely to be in place, but I'm out that way fairly regularly and will update if it reopens before April.

Also, between Consett and Stanley, there is always loads of broken glass on the route, so keep your eyes peeled. I ended up carrying my bike over a particularly bad stretch last week.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Was the bridge closed to Pedestrians too? I've done a couple sustrans routes where diversions have been in place, but the bridges/paths have been open to pedestrians. Walking a small stretch can avoid lengthy diversions sometimes :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
Was the bridge closed to Pedestrians too? I've done a couple sustrans routes where diversions have been in place, but the bridges/paths have been open to pedestrians. Walking a small stretch can avoid lengthy diversions sometimes :thumbsup:

TBH I didn't reach the point where the works were being carried out as the steel barrier (8' high steel mesh gates) at the diversion was across the full width of the trail, with no way round it. I assume that this was the closest point to the works, where a diversion from the route was possible.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Slightly OT a few of NCN routes were closed in Scotland last year and there was no warning until you reached the bridge which was out of action :sad:

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member

I was out that way again this morning and the closure is still in place. It looks as if they've demolished an old stone bridge, which if being replaced will be a fairly long job, however if they are simply clearing it away, the route may be open for next month.

Sustrans have been out and put up/replaced a load of signs and the route that I took last time was not as they intended. I'm wondering if the locals had been out removing the signs last time.

The detour keeps you to the left of the route, through a small wooded area and not across the blue bridge. It is a bit rough and knarly in a couple of places, crossing tree roots and muddy bits, but depending on the weather and what you are riding for the C2C, it should be passable.

Even if you are in fully panniered tour mode on semi slicks, it would only be a short push through the worst bits.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks for the heads up, I'm C2Cing in a few weeks!:thumbsup:

Thanks from me too.

perplexed - when are you doing the C2C? I'm booked to do Workington-Sunderland on the 14th & 15th of April.

Top Bottom