C2W Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Not sure if you can use Evans, their sale is on. This is under £800 for 8.5kg

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-roubaix-1-3-2017-road-bike-EV280185

Thanks. Will pop in to Evans to try this one out for size. It looks good to me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Will pop in to Evans to try this one out for size. It looks good to me.
You'll need to pay a refundable deposit of £60 for them to order it in if your size not in store. Not sure Evans take C2W Other than their own scheme. Ask when you call to reserve the bike. They do offer interest free credit however :smile:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sorry to be a killjoy but the clue is in the name Cycle to Work. I object to subsidising people like you abusing this scheme when you have no intention of using the bike to ride to and from work but merely to use it as your occasional weekend/sunday ride bike or n+1 bike. Maybe you don't even ride to and from work anyway. This scheme needs to be better policed so people like you who take advantage of it do actually ride your bikes to and from work on a regular basis. Failure to do so would mean any tax relief ceases and sums recovered, the full retail balance outstanding becomes payable within 14 days.
How does that work when hmrc state that no employee should be excluded from the scheme, even those that work from home???

jowwy

Too many people on here berating people for using c2w and questioning their moral and ethical stance on using it.
An employer who offers a c2w scheme to staff MUST make it available too all staff, even if they work from home. So lets put an end to questioning peoples morals and ethics.......

bpsmith

Veteran
Too many people on here berating people for using c2w and questioning their moral and ethical stance on using it.
An employer who offers a c2w scheme to staff MUST make it available too all staff, even if they work from home. So lets put an end to questioning peoples morals and ethics.......
Even if they never actually ride to work, the employee gains from the rider being healthier and likely to take less genuine sick days.

The best comment on here is the one where somebody objects to them funding the OP’s C2W bike. The OP will be funding their own bike in reality, either with their own salary sacrifice, or by the tax they actually pay themselves.

Very small minded imho.

jowwy

Even if they never actually ride to work, the employee gains from the rider being healthier and likely to take less genuine sick days.

The best comment on here is the one where somebody objects to them funding the OP’s C2W bike. The OP will be funding their own bike in reality, either with their own salary sacrifice, or by the tax they actually pay themselves.

Very small minded imho.
Spot on Smithy....to many narrow minded individuals who think they have a better moral compass than others. i also like the one were they say "why not get a 0% credit card"

J1888

Über Member
Don't think OP can buy at Halfords through his scheme so no Boardman

A cheaper carbon frame will be as heavy as a good alu/carbon frame and better components are lighter. It appears weight is the primary purchase criteria

By your logic, you could always get a better carbon frame and build that with the better parts. A full groupset and better wheels will cost more than a carbon frame

The OP needs to do his research, go test ride a bunch of 1k bikes and then decide which is best for him. He needs a shortlist and then he can get owner opinions

Personally I'd get a good light steel frame as they are more comfortable for me than either alu or carbon (I have all three and even on a dry day I'll chose the steel 99 times out of a 100 or probably 400 times out of 401 looking at Strava stats ;) )

It depends what you mean by a 'cheap' carbon frame and a good alu/carbon mix though; e.g. a Boardman Team Carbon (Tiagra) weighs less than a Cannondale CAAD8 with 105

vickster

Legendary Member
How much less? Half a kilo?
He has a £1000 wants as light as poss so means he’ll need a light groupset, so other bits like the frame may not be the best

Don’t think he can use Halfords with his scheme as they have their own

vickster

Legendary Member
If the LBS Christmas sales haven't started, don't press any buttons until they have if they offer C2W on reduced bikes

Don't just choose based on weight but which feels best and makes you smile most :smile:

Remember black bikes are slowest and heaviest ;)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sorry to be a killjoy but the clue is in the name Cycle to Work. I object to subsidising people like you abusing this scheme when you have no intention of using the bike to ride to and from work but merely to use it as your occasional weekend/sunday ride bike or n+1 bike. Maybe you don't even ride to and from work anyway. This scheme needs to be better policed so people like you who take advantage of it do actually ride your bikes to and from work on a regular basis.

There's a very easy way to do this. Simply make it a requirement that the bike has to be supplied with full mudguards, a rear carrier, and cannot be supplied with narrow section racing tyres. The result would be the bike would be relatively heavy and slow, and would not appeal in the slightest to the sort of rider intent on abusing the scheme just to save the tax on a new road bike and not because they actually intend to commute on it.

jowwy

There's a very easy way to do this. Simply make it a requirement that the bike has to be supplied with full mudguards, a rear carrier, and cannot be supplied with narrow section racing tyres. The result would be the bike would be relatively heavy and slow, and would not appeal in the slightest to the sort of rider intent on abusing the scheme just to save the tax on a new road bike and not because they actually intend to commute on it.
Best you read the rules set out by hmrc on cycle to work scheme...........then come back and make a new comment based on your new levels of education

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They have to make the scheme available to all employees simply because you couldn’t police it if it was available only for those that cycle to work. What would they do, introduce inspectors who stood outside the works gate to see who was using their bike to commute?

Top Bottom