C2W Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
There's a very easy way to do this. Simply make it a requirement that the bike has to be supplied with full mudguards, a rear carrier, and cannot be supplied with narrow section racing tyres. The result would be the bike would be relatively heavy and slow, and would not appeal in the slightest to the sort of rider intent on abusing the scheme just to save the tax on a new road bike and not because they actually intend to commute on it.
Ask yourself what the point of the scheme actually is and then post your thoughts.

vickster

Legendary Member
To indulge a cycling hobby through bikes made cheaper thanks to subsidisation by HMRC? ;) Or maybe to enable people to access decent bikes to commute to their place of work on maybe for the benefit of the employee and the environment?

....To promote healthier journeys to work and to reduce environmental pollution, the 1999 Finance Act introduced an annual tax exemption, which allows employers to loan cycles and cyclists' safety equipment to employees as a tax-free benefit. The exemption was one of a series of measures introduced under the Government's Green Transport Plan. The following guidelines clarify how organisations can take advantage of the exemption to implement a Cycle to Work scheme that encourages employees to cycle to work and allows employers to reap the benefits of a healthier workforce

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
The final 10 words encapsulates the point in its entirety. The same applies whether the bikes actually end up being cycled to work or for leisure. Same beneficial gain to both parties.

The green travel plan element, is simply a tick box exercise. If they were serious, then they’d spend more on infrastructure.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ask yourself what the point of the scheme actually is and then post your thoughts.

The point of the scheme is to encourage people to cycle to work. That means in all weathers at all times of the year. It's not intended as a Taxpayer-subsidised jolly where you go out and buy a bike totally unsuited to all-weather commuting and just use it at the weekend for leisure activity.

bpsmith

Veteran
The point of the scheme is to encourage people to cycle to work. That means in all weathers at all times of the year. It's not intended as a Taxpayer-subsidised jolly where you go out and buy a bike totally unsuited to all-weather commuting and just use it at the weekend for leisure activity.
I think that you’ve missed the point. We know what it’s called, as it clearly says that in the name. :smile:

What I am asking is, why would they want you to cycle to work? With respect, I think that you know the answer to that, but sadly it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Show us where it says that you have to cycle to work in all weathers and all times of year? You’ll struggle to find those stipulations, outside of your head.

With regards to subsidising, the person themselves will have subsidised the bike out of a combination of their salary sacrifice and also the tax that they will have already paid that year.

Out of interest, when did you start cycling to work, in all weathers and every day of the year? Was it before or after C2W schemes were introduced?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think that you’ve missed the point. We know what it’s called, as it clearly says that in the name. :smile:

What I am asking is, why would they want you to cycle to work? With respect, I think that you know the answer to that, but sadly it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Show us where it says that you have to cycle to work in all weathers and all times of year? You’ll struggle to find those stipulations, outside of your head.

With regards to subsidising, the person themselves will have subsidised the bike out of a combination of their salary sacrifice and also the tax that they will have already paid that year.

Out of interest, when did you start cycling to work, in all weathers and every day of the year? Was it before or after C2W schemes were introduced?
Some just dont want to be educated or changed.............they just want the rules changed to suit their own narrow minded rhetoric. Best leave them to wallow in their own minds

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Please highlight in the hmrc regulations were it states "in all weathers, all times of the year" also show me where it states what actual bike im allowed to purchase and as your also allowed to buy safety equipment and components, again how would that work with your regulation change......good luck in your search, i hope it doesnt stop your only brain cell from over loading

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Managed to pop in to Evans on the way home and test drove this. Lovely bike. Got a quote which is valid for 30 days.

Will push the button in the new year if I don't find a better deal.

That's a nice bike at that money - a mate has one (2016 model, I think) and is very happy with it.

However, if you can use your C2W certificate at Cycle Surgery, have you seen this (only "M" available):
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/giant-propel-advanced-2-2015-Q2314876.html?colour=124

000a.JPG

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Cycle Surgery is on that list - second from bottom, listed as Outdoor and Cycle Concepts Online T/A Cycle Surgery
:okay:

Thanks. Didn't notice that.

So which is the better bike?

Can't see the weight of the one you've posted.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks. Didn't notice that.

So which is the better bike?

Can't see the weight of the one you've posted.

In terms of spec, most people would say the Giant was the better bike. It's a full carbon aero frame, while the Fuji is aluminium.
Giant don't publish weight although I'd be very surprised if the Propel wasn't lighter than the Fuji too - but don't get too focused on on a half kilo here or there.

Ultimately, regardless of all that it's like @vickster says - the one to get is the one you like best.

Top Bottom