C2W Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok. Advice taken. Please recommend a good aluminum bike with good components
Which brands can you access locally?

Could do worse than look at whatever you can get in budget and locally among Cannondale CAAD or Synapse (want racy or relaxed), Giant Contend or Specialized Allez if you're ok with a mainstream fairly common brand

Saturday tomorrow, go to some shops :smile: There look to be plenty in Hull

This looks a good deal from a Hull shop, 9kg, 105...
http://www.richardsonshull.co.uk/product/cube-peloton-race

You'll need to check if they take your C2W voucher

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I was down my LBS and started to drool a little by when I saw these.

20171212_173253.jpg

I know they are over budget, but they've been on sale for a while and I don't get my voucher until end of January into February so I'm banking on at least one of them coming down in price after Christmas. :thumbsup:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
What kind of weight is reasonable for a £1k bike?
It's all according what your buying, but anywhere around 9kg is about what you'll get as the groups will prob be 105 on a decent alu frame and prob sora and a low level carbon frame............

I've got a top of the range carbon frame, sram etap and carbon wheels and it only just about gets to low 8kgs

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure if you can use Evans, their sale is on. This is under £800 for 8.5kg

https://www.evanscycles.com/fuji-roubaix-1-3-2017-road-bike-EV280185

J1888

Über Member
Interested to know why some posters recommend buying an aluminium frame with better groupset than a carbon one with a lesser groupset? Seems illogical to me, as you could upgrade the carbon frame over time with a better groupset (if you wanted) - you can't upgrade an aluminium frame.

At just over £1k, this 105 Boardman Team Carbon seems good; I had it with the Tiagra spec before it got stolen and I loved it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interested to know why some posters recommend buying an aluminium frame with better groupset than a carbon one with a lesser groupset? Seems illogical to me, as you could upgrade the carbon frame over time with a better groupset (if you wanted) - you can't upgrade an aluminium frame.

At just over £1k, this 105 Boardman Team Carbon seems good; I had it with the Tiagra spec before it got stolen and I loved it.
Don't think OP can buy at Halfords through his scheme so no Boardman

A cheaper carbon frame will be as heavy as a good alu/carbon frame and better components are lighter. It appears weight is the primary purchase criteria

By your logic, you could always get a better carbon frame and build that with the better parts. A full groupset and better wheels will cost more than a carbon frame

The OP needs to do his research, go test ride a bunch of 1k bikes and then decide which is best for him. He needs a shortlist and then he can get owner opinions

Personally I'd get a good light steel frame as they are more comfortable for me than either alu or carbon (I have all three and even on a dry day I'll chose the steel 99 times out of a 100 or probably 400 times out of 401 looking at Strava stats ;) )

Crankarm

Guru
looking do a new bike on the C2W scheme.

Have £1k to spend. Looking for something as light as possible. I weigh 65kg so I'd like a bike to be the lowest percentage of my body weight as possible. :smile:

Bike won't actually be ridden to work daily so doesn't need mudguards, rack, etc

Just after a light speedy road bike to take out for rides on the weekend (plus very occasional ride to work - ahem).

I'm guessing carbon is the way to go but appreciate your advice.

This is the. Company I have to use

http://www.bike2workscheme.co.uk/

Sorry to be a killjoy but the clue is in the name Cycle to Work. I object to subsidising people like you abusing this scheme when you have no intention of using the bike to ride to and from work but merely to use it as your occasional weekend/sunday ride bike or n+1 bike. Maybe you don't even ride to and from work anyway. This scheme needs to be better policed so people like you who take advantage of it do actually ride your bikes to and from work on a regular basis. Failure to do so would mean any tax relief ceases and sums recovered, the full retail balance outstanding becomes payable within 14 days.

J1888

Über Member
Sorry to be a killjoy but the clue is in the name Cycle to Work. I object to subsidising people like you abusing this scheme when you have no intention of using the bike to ride to and from work but merely to use it as your occasional weekend/sunday ride bike or n+1 bike. Maybe you don't even ride to and from work anyway. This scheme needs to be better policed so people like you who take advantage of it do actually ride your bikes to and from work on a regular basis. Failure to do so would mean any tax relief ceases and sums recovered, the full retail balance outstanding becomes payable within 14 days.

He says he won't be riding it to work daily, does that preclude him?

I didn't ride my old C2W daily, as I work from home once every few weeks, sometimes I went for a beer after work etc. Sure, it was my main means of commuting but...

vickster

Legendary Member
He says he won't be riding it to work daily, does that preclude him?

I didn't ride my old C2W daily, as I work from home once every few weeks, sometimes I went for a beer after work etc. Sure, it was my main means of commuting but...
He gives the impression in the OP that using it to C2W will be a rare exception rather than the rule...hence occasionally and ahem

He should read the terms of his particular scheme, some specify an expected percentage use for commuting while some schemes and employers are ok with home workers using the scheme. Ultimately it's between him, his employer and HMRC

Top Bottom