C2W Hybrid advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
The tyres are Bontanger XR2 2.2 tubeless, standard for the bike, which is a Trek Procalibre 6. They are something I will upgrade but for now they are fine.

I've just had a look at the MTX, looks like a MTB / Hybrid hybrid!! I reckon that would do the trick, tyres might be a touch narrow when things get really rural but would run a treat on gravel, forest tracks and that kind of thing.

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
I've just had a look at the MTX, looks like a MTB / Hybrid hybrid!! I reckon that would do the trick, tyres might be a touch narrow when things get really rural but would run a treat on gravel, forest tracks and that kind of thing.
Thanks for looking, not really knowing a lot about bikes, that was my "technical" analysis..."look very thin those!" The MHT (mountain) looked better, and am a little worried on the MTX (hybrid) ones being a little thin for bridleways, coastline, gravel etc, would have been a bit happier if a little thicker.

Think its going to be the MTX 8.8 though - your personal thoughts on it please?
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2171-mtx-8.8.html

johnblack

Über Member
Thanks for looking, not really knowing a lot about bikes, that was my "technical" analysis..."look very thin those!" The MHT (mountain) looked better, and am a little worried on the MTX (hybrid) ones being a little thin for bridleways, coastline, gravel etc, would have been a bit happier if a little thicker.

Think its going to be the MTX 8.8 though - your personal thoughts on it please?
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2171-mtx-8.8.html
I think that will be absolutely fine on most terrain, see plenty of tyres that size on cross bikes doing all kinds of tracks. Plenty of range in the gears so you should have enough to haul you about. Get out there and have some fun!!

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
Well after looking better in shop and getting info in shop decided that the MHT would be better.

He mentioned not only that the MHT better for anything off-road but better stability as well, especially if anything off-road in the wet, grass etc as well.

It was my decision in end obviously, his personal was mountain, but I agreed on some things.

So plumped for the MHT 8.6 Blue

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You've gone down the mountain bike end of the spectrum there, as opposed to the all-rounder you came in looking for - I guess your thoughts changed during the buying process, as happens.

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
You've gone down the mountain bike end of the spectrum there, as opposed to the all-rounder you came in looking for - I guess your thoughts changed during the buying process, as happens.
I did....although to be fair I was very undecided and did another thread asking from MTB side as well.

I just wasn't sure on those tyres and stability. I know they are hybrid and supposed to be ok for light trails, but I just wondered what they would really be like....

At least with these wider tyres I will feel a bit more confident, even over pot holes and up/down kerbs?

Just not sure on only 10 gears though for when on roads.

Hope I've chosen a decent bike in the end though....?.....

johnblack

Über Member
I did....although to be fair I was very undecided and did another thread asking from MTB side as well.

I just wasn't sure on those tyres and stability. I know they are hybrid and supposed to be ok for light trails, but I just wondered what they would really be like....

At least with these wider tyres I will feel a bit more confident, even over pot holes and up/down kerbs?

Just not sure on only 10 gears though for when on roads.

Hope I've chosen a decent bike in the end though....?.....
34-42 should do you fine.

Top Bottom