C2W Hybrid advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
I quite like hybrids but I don't see many benefits over a hard tail 29er especially if you have half an eye of doing some tracks and the like.
Went to have a (very) quick look in Halfords, the MTX (hybrid) had thin tyres, and the MHT (mountain) had thicker ones.

Was more drawn to the MHT but now I'm thinking again it won't be rough forest tracks, just coastline hills, gravel etc so will a hybrid not be better?

With quick release wheels front and back is it easy to buy new wheels and swap when want?

Not sure now on Hybrid or mountain.....

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you also going to be riding on roads?
You might be able to put fatter tyres on the hybrid or thinner on the MTB
Go try then out. In your shoes, it’d be a hybrid for me as MTBs are too slow on roads

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
Are you also going to be riding on roads?
You might be able to put fatter tyres on the hybrid or thinner on the MTB
Go try then out. In your shoes, it’d be a hybrid for me as MTBs are too slow on roads
Yeh will be on roads, it's not going to be for off road exclusively, more "around the doors" general use, coastline etc.

I was thinking more mountain, but I'm thinking hybrid again now.

Maybe could change tyres suppose is that only potential difference? Can you literally just swap, as quick release wheels, between tyres?

Any advice on actual hybrids? Wanting hydraulic and front suspension.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeh will be on roads, it's not going to be for off road exclusively, more "around the doors" general use, coastline etc.

I was thinking more mountain, but I'm thinking hybrid again now.

Maybe could change tyres suppose is that only potential difference? Can you literally just swap, as quick release wheels, between tyres?

Any advice on actual hybrids? Wanting hydraulic and front suspension.

Thanks
Look at Merida maybe, good vfm. Go to a couple of proper bike shops that take Halfords vouchers and have a chat
Hybrids tend to be lighter than MTBs, and probably more flexible in terms of fitting pannier rack and mudguards for commuting

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll soon get sick of pushing a 14kg MTB around on the roads with it's fat tyres. A hybrid is a better all rounder and you don't need the suspension.

rivers

How far can I go?
I concur. For the riding you want to do, you don't need suspension. For your budget, the suspension will be mediocre at best. I've thrashed around on mountain bike trails with my CX bike, which has no suspension and is drop bar, and had a blast. And not once did I think "Gee, I wish this bike had suspension"

Tom B

Guru
I have a Ridgeback Flight 01 and commute daily 6-10 miles each way depending on route. Sometimes all road some time paths, tracks and rocky roads.

I wanted full mudguards and rack mounts when I got that bike. I quickly binned the rack.

The wheels are 700c and I run 28 tyres which are IMHO a good compromise.

I limit what I carry simply by keeping my work stuff at work, all of it. I have one bag for clean and one back for dirty and huge amounts of uniform. When the dirty bag is full and the clean is nearly empty the dirty bag comes home (8 to 10 weeks) and is washed. I either get someone driving who is passing my way to drop it off or collect if and when Im passing in the car. Get your ducks in a row and you can really limit what you carry.

I found that I could get a better deal with greater savings paying cash for the bike than on the C2W scheme. YMMV.

I've done well over 20k on that bike now. Biggest rides over 100miles.

Specialized seem to do a couple of decent hybrids too, I sometimes ride with a chap on one when commuting.

+1 for binning the suspension. It adds weight and saps power. The common-law FIL has a Charge Plug for a few years as a commuter / shop / pub utility ride and he went for larger volume tyres (possibly 38s) and doesn't regret it. They're noticeably more forgiving

Attachments

• DSC_0406.JPG
    DSC_0406.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_2164.JPG
    DSC_2164.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1774.JPG
    DSC_1774.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
Appreciate all comments thanks.

+1 for binning the suspension. It adds weight and saps power.
Looking at Boardman Hyb 8.8 is 10.4kg (no sus), MTX 8.8 12.6kg (with sus), not that much difference? Also I thought with lockout facility when on roads it's fine, nearly same as no sus?

Still looking at Halfords as confirmed can use the 15% trade in (effectively 15% off as can use any old scooter or anything), and the C2W vouchers. I believe also that Halfords will order any bike in as well though.

Tom B

Guru
Appreciate all comments thanks.

Looking at Boardman Hyb 8.8 is 10.4kg (no sus), MTX 8.8 12.6kg (with sus), not that much difference? Also I thought with lockout facility when on roads it's fine, nearly same as no sus?

Still looking at Halfords as confirmed can use the 15% trade in (effectively 15% off as can use any old scooter or anything), and the C2W vouchers. I believe also that Halfords will order any bike in as well though.

10.4 to 12.6 kg is a very noticeable difference if any hills are involved!

What he said.

And the benefits will be negligible. I push a bike around with Suntour Raidon X1 air at work sometimes. Lots of it on road, some off. The difference it makes compared to a no sus bike is very small. Going on some propper of road trails yes you'll feel it, but on the tow path and roads probably not. Unless you're smashing it up kerbs or something.

Another thing is it adds another maintenance liability. You're supposed to service them every x many hours.

Most of the Raidon X1 we have at work are seized or have failed damping and ride like miss whiplash... We just don't bother repairing them unless they fail flat.

To chuck my hat in the ring I'm not a fan of this 1x gearing, it's just not long enough for me. I run out of length on a 48 to 11 so I think a 44/11 longest would annoy me.

A dive in Google gave me this... I think tredz and allfrauds are one and the same.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialize...yztes-ek3R6WIvS2MoI-AkZ1iwjs_OzRoConoQAvD_BwE

Given how well my ridgeback has served me and how helpful Rb have been I'd give this a coat of looking at too.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-...vf-fztSloY0WmHCdqM57DA7Cn0l8tCBoCH_MQAvD_BwE#

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Another thing is it adds another maintenance liability. You're supposed to service them every x many hours. .

Bikes are supposed to be mechanically simple, cheap to operate machines. That's the whole point of having them; they are faster and involve less effort than hoofing it, but almost as cheap. Once you add complication, you add wearing components and you add more maintenance. Plus you add weight. I would suggest a bike which is ridden most of the time with locked-out suspension is a bike that didn't need to have suspension in the first place.
Retailers simply don't push full rigid MTB's these days, they have the mindset of sticking suspension on as much of their product range as possible and using the "feature count" sales approach. It works on a certain type of customer......

johnblack

Über Member
Went to have a (very) quick look in Halfords, the MTX (hybrid) had thin tyres, and the MHT (mountain) had thicker ones.

Was more drawn to the MHT but now I'm thinking again it won't be rough forest tracks, just coastline hills, gravel etc so will a hybrid not be better?

With quick release wheels front and back is it easy to buy new wheels and swap when want?

Not sure now on Hybrid or mountain.....
I did nearly all my winter miles on a hardtail 29er this year, road, gravel, woods, bridleways, didn't use the winter road bike at all, great fun, of course slower than the roadie but the rolling resistance on summer 29 tyres really isn't that bad, and you absolutely give yourself more options. Mine weighs in at 12.2kg with a 1x12 SRAM Eagle. I was thinking of getting a gravel or CX bike next, but now I won't bother because I wouldn't get enough extra out of it to justify the cost (unless it's too good a deal to refuse obv.)

OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
I did nearly all my winter miles on a hardtail 29er this year, road, gravel, woods, bridleways, didn't use the winter road bike at all, great fun, of course slower than the roadie but the rolling resistance on summer 29 tyres really isn't that bad, and you absolutely give yourself more options. Mine weighs in at 12.2kg with a 1x12 SRAM Eagle. I was thinking of getting a gravel or CX bike next, but now I won't bother because I wouldn't get enough extra out of it to justify the cost (unless it's too good a deal to refuse obv.)
What bike is this please? What tyres are on? This is what I want for mine, as in road, gravel, woods, bridleways etc, and just wondering if the MTX 8.8 hybrid with its tyres is suitable for this.

Thanks

Top Bottom