cable and housing for rear disc brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobster

Hi all

I have a ridgeback MX4 and am in the process of upgrading the rear brake to an avid bb7.
I als got a pitstop staight jacket cable and housing kit.

The bike's existing cable set up seems so have a section of exposed inner cable running along the top of the frame (ie no outer cable housing)

Is there a reason for this?

Would i be better tring to run the whole cable length "enclosed) even though the cable wouldnt fit on the frame "mounting loops"
or would it be better to run it in the same way as the original?

Doing the latter would mean i could get both front and rear brakes from one cable housing kit. but as its only a teener I would rather it done properly.

many thanks

I gave up professional cycle mechanics before discs became "affordable" and wondered the same thing.

Have a set of Gusset Chute disc brakes on my MTB, pulled by Goodridge cables, and I have used the standard cable stops on the frame, minimising cable outer. It works just fine. Though I notice that all other cable disc setups seem to have a continuous outer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I run my BB7's in a continuous housing, made of a combination of avid brake cable outers and avid full metal jackets. FMJ's do from near caliper to top of fork for front, and for rear along underside of top tube and then down the seat stay to near the caliper. All the joints are sealed with heat shrink tubing and all the outer cable ends have ferrules on them. Works like a dream. Avid seem to say an exposed inner will feel 'soggy'.

Well their way works for me.

Top Bottom