Cabriolets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Whilst on cabriolets has anyone on here had experience of an MGTF? I'd like a Fiat 124 Spider or similar but there's no chance the budget would stretch that far.

I'll have a budget of £3k max, needs to be small but not tiny.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Squeeze it just a bit because properly Italian?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...022&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance

Or maybe a Z3?

I just sold my minty Volvo C70 or I'd be punting it at you!

D

Deleted member 26715

Would you be looking at an F or a TF, UK or Chinese? I think the K series is a great engine but if does have to be looked after. The drive is a bit barge like, to me they don't handle much better than a normal saloon car, they do as all cars do have their following who think they are the best thing since sliced bread, but they do have a whiff of old man flat cap cars.

Think I'd be looking at MK3 MR2's get as late one as you can as the early ones had oval bore syndrome.

Gunk

Guru
IMO MX5 is the best cheap sports car, loads of choice, reliable, great to drive and plenty of parts availability.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
50:50 weight distribution, it’s the perfect car to throw around

Quite. My 5 with a few suspension upgrades, lowered, uprated ARB’s, properly set up and on quality rubber is frighteningly good in the twisty stuff. Wet or dry.

I had this and really well set up Porsche Cayman at the same time. With the same and more suspension work. Eventually came to the realisation I was having 80% of the fun in the Mazda at much more sensible speeds and 1/5th the price / running costs. So the Porsche went.

Never believed with the hairdresser reputation, rust issues (Earlier ones than mine mainly), smallish engines etc - you’d have seen me own one. Let alone sell an amazing other car in favour of keeping the 5 as a daily runner. But I really do love and enjoy it that much on a daily basis. I literally enjoy every single spell behind the wheel.

The fact it’s been faultless in 18 months and is utterly dependable and costs pennies to tax / insure is just a bonus.

Attachments

• E1EFFE9E-9444-4C67-A372-1E7DC43A8801.jpeg
    E1EFFE9E-9444-4C67-A372-1E7DC43A8801.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 9B006FD2-40DD-4A00-8C97-05BD711EDE6F.jpeg
    9B006FD2-40DD-4A00-8C97-05BD711EDE6F.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 2
D

Deleted member 26715

What year MX5 did you own and for how long?
1993, 1998, 2004, 2005, sorry if you're taking offence but I felt the same about the Subaru Impreza, Honda Type-R, Mercedes SLK V6 we've owned, completely adequate cars, just didn't didn't do it for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
1993, 1998, 2004, 2005, sorry if you're taking offence but I felt the same about the Subaru Impreza, Honda Type-R, Mercedes SLK V6 we've owned, completely adequate cars, just didn't didn't do it for me.

So you bought 4 different MX5 , owned them over a period of about 15 years, despite calling them soulless 😂

mustang1

Legendary Member

I drove an MX5 in circa 1995. It was a mk1 where you could unzip the rear screen and fold it flat (in fact it was quieter in that configuration on the motorways) and it had screw-in antenna if you wanted to listen to the radio. Cracking car in the twisties.

Top Bottom