Callander Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I'm thinking I've been a bit foolhardy.

What ability level/fitness/speed/distance should one be capable of now to be ready for an 87 mile sportive on 12th April?

:blink:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I'm thinking I've been a bit foolhardy.

What ability level/fitness/speed/distance should one be capable of now to be ready for an 87 mile sportive on 12th April?

:blink:
You'll be fine, the only problem with this ride is that its really early in the year, everybody's fitness won't be up to much. if it was me i'd be looking to be able to a 60-70 mile ride by the middle of March, also you climb the Dukes pass twice, it is the easy side but its still a tough wee climb so early in the year

tug benson

I done this ride last year, they changed the route as a running event was going around Loch Katrine, i really enjoyed last years route, we climbed the tougher side of the dukes pass and i much prefer the climb from Aberfoyle, me and @Louch done it together, i got a puncture then i left louch at the bottom of the Dukes pass to do his own thing, it was a good day and we spent a lot of time in a few groups, the food stops are good and you can get a shower at the end, when we started the ride the Dukes pass was closed because of ice and we were not sure if we were going to get to do the climb, lucky for us the sun came up and we got to do the climb.

Last years route
http://www.strava.com/activities/123292210

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Climbing is more of a problem for me than distance.

Been out today and yesterday and took in more hilly routes - I do seem to struggle on them though.

Rasmus

Without a clever title

Been out today and yesterday and took in more hilly routes - I do seem to struggle on them though.

Everyone struggles on hills, that's at least part of the point. It's just that some people struggle at different velocities than others ^_^

I'd suggest you try to get at least a 50-60 mile ride with similar "toughness" in before the event. The excitement of the event and riding with other people should easily give you the push to the finish. Just remember not to start out too fast; it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and set off with a group above your own level, but you can really pay for that down the line.

If you're worried about time, check if the organizer has posted limits of when the feed stops / finish area close, and make sure you start in the first wave in the morning.

Fubar

Guru

The first time I did the Caledonia Etape it took me over 6 hours, I walked the steepest climbs and I could have wailed 2/3rd's of the way round - I had never done that distance before, and never really cycled in bad weather before either (it horsed it down). The point being though I finished it and have returned every year since to try and beat my previous time. @Rasmus gives good advice above, there's no point thinking it will be easy but with a bit of preparation YOU CAN DO IT. Keep at those hills until you can pedal up them without stopping, extend your mileage and let the event take care of itself.

tug benson

what local hills are you doing? I was planning on going up Sheriffmuir but the ice on the roads put me off

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Thanks for the advice everybody - I'll aim to build it up over the coming weeks in distance and hilliness (elevation?)

No significant hills as yet - although there is a road out the back of Denny that passes that mountain bike track - I reckon the roads about there might provide a handy training ground?

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Where's Tak Ma Doon road? I've heard of that. Is that Kilsyth?

Now realising it could be the road to my golf club where I see people cycling past every weekend!! ha ha

tug benson

Where's Tak Ma Doon road? I've heard of that. Is that Kilsyth?

Now realising it could be the road to my golf club where I see people cycling past every weekend!! ha ha
Aye that will be the road, the climb gets really tough just after the golf course finishes, something like 18%, you also have the crow road just a few miles along from the Tak, much easier climb

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I found last year hard going as I'd been half marathon training , then found out at last food stop my tyres where running at 45psi. Enjoyed it tho, even if I missed a turn after @tug benson disspeared into the sunset, and I added a few miles onto the route!

Top Bottom