Callander Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Where's Tak Ma Doon road? I've heard of that. Is that Kilsyth?

Now realising it could be the road to my golf club where I see people cycling past every weekend!! ha ha

If you decide to take on the Tak (and by all means do, it's a great climb), remember that it's tougher than any of the climbs on the sportive. And be careful at the ford on the northbound descent.

I haven't done the climb up from Denny, but the road from Bannockburn up to Carronbridge would be a pretty good practice climb. Reasonably gentle gradient most of the way up, and then a steeper ramp at the end to tell you how well you paced yourself.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
If I was doing the Tak Me Doon climb, where should I start and finish and approx distance? I've a tendency to set off and get lost!

The B/burn to Carronbridge, where would this start and finish?

Fubar

Guru
If I was doing the Tak Me Doon climb, where should I start and finish and approx distance? I've a tendency to set off and get lost!

FWIW I would just concentrate on getting the miles in right now and worry about climbs later - worst thing is to take something on and perhaps not cope (I'm sure you would though). Don't want to be dispirited with climbs too early, aim to build up you distance and wait for better weather and light nights.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013

You start the climb at the battle of Bannockburn site, then it ends at carron bridge where you take a left and the road takes you to denny, that whole area is where me and @Louch stamp on the pedals over the summer months

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
You could also get to it by cycling towards the granada roundabout from Denny, take the left before it, the one that goes under the motorway. Follow that road down, and take the right at the t junction.

You then about half a mile later reach a cross roads. Left there is the carron valley climb. Follow that up and over, and you will then be mostly down hill to take you back to Denny. Get that done a couple of times as an intro to climbing.

If you want a harder climb after that, shilelsbrae up from cambusbarron is about the same length, but I found it to feel steeper in parts.

As @Fubar advises above, once you have distance , climbs aren't as tough to take on. They are just going slower but you are still turning the peddles.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
what? i seem to have missed anything about this one!!...right in my neck of the woods too...ah the dukes pass

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Decision time!!!!

I was doing this with a friend so agreed to do 54 rather than 87.

On account of the psychological distance, I haven't trained! That and the weather has been crap.

So 1 month to go and I've got the fitness/stamina of a non-cyclist.

Now he can't make it and I'm on my own against either an 87 miler or a 54 miler! Bad times!

With one month prep, starting from average fitness, should I push myself for the 87 miles, push myself for the 54 miles, or just play golf instead?

Somebuddy

Über Member
I'm in the same boat. I've registered for the 87, but am feeling that I've bitten off too much! I didn't know there was an option to down size your challenge. I'm hoping that I get caught up in the moment with all the other riders around that the miles just fly by.....! Hey ho, I can only do what I can do, if I don't make the finish then the world won't end. I feel that I can do the 54, I think, so I've got to go for the challenge. Come on, golf is for wimps. None meant!

Top Bottom