Calling all dog owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Is having a dog affecting your cycling? The reason I am asking is because I find that since we have Molly, I spend more time walking the dog which affects my cycling time.:blush:
I know it is still exercising but I must make more effort to get on the bike.:bicycle:
How do you balance the two? :sad:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
=http%3A%2F%2Fbestbicycletrailer.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F09%2Fsmall-dog-bike-trailer.jpg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Is having a dog affecting your cycling? The reason I am asking is because I find that since we have Molly, I spend more time walking the dog which affects my cycling time.:blush:
I know it is still exercising but I must make more effort to get on the bike.:bicycle:
I miss my dog but have put off having another partly for this reason, plus my elderly dad is needing more visits too.
I would feel guilty going out on the bike for three or four hours and leaving a dog in the house, especially a young one.

I'll probably get another when I am getting too decrepit for cycling very far. Lol.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I take my dog out early in the morning before breakfast then go for a ride. Dog goes out again later in the afternoon when I am back. There is normally someone around to let the pooch out into the garden in the meantime.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I just take mine out for a walk before i set off on a ride. I know some non doggy types will doubt this but he knows i'm getting ready for a ride when he sees me putting my bib shorts and shoes on. He doesn't like being left alone,so he starts to growl and chuck stuff around the flat(with his mouth that is,not his paws:rolleyes:). I've come back from a ride to find my flat looking like those prison riot scenes.:okay:. I've only ridden with dog in tow once and that was with my old Jack Russell when she'd run behind my (say it quietly...mountain bike:secret: ) on the canal path. The mutt i have now is far too lazy to run at all,so even if i had a mountain bike:secret: he would probably just sit there and refuse to run.

vickster

Legendary Member
I just take mine out for a walk before i set off on a ride. I know some non doggy types will doubt this but he knows i'm getting ready for a ride when he sees me putting my bib shorts and shoes on. He doesn't like being left alone,so he starts to growl and chuck stuff around the flat(with his mouth that is,not his paws:rolleyes:). I've come back from a ride to find my flat looking like those prison riot scenes.:okay:. I've only ridden with dog in tow once and that was with my old Jack Russell when she'd run behind my (say it quietly...mountain bike:secret: ) on the canal path. The mutt i have now is far too lazy to run at all,so even if i had a mountain bike:secret: he would probably just sit there and refuse to run.
And you're surprised your neighbours compain about the noise assuming your dog doesn't throw his paddies in complete silence?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And you're surprised your neighbours compain about the noise assuming your dog doesn't throw his paddies in complete silence?
Aw get over it,he probably kicks off for a minute or so. I have to put up with the lard arse thug (been inside for ABH) below making stupid fecking noises all day long! Thank's for changing my mood..says sarcastically!

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My 2 give me dirty looks if I don't go out in the morning. That's their sleep time. Walkies is after lunch. Any attempt to change the routine leaves poor Ridley confused and he thinks he's being taken to the vets. Scruffy would come on the ridestate given the chance buto a trailer is a no go as she gets travel sick.
So I can get away with 6 hours max leaving them, though I prefer no longer than 3hrs

potsy

Rambler
I haven't ridden my bike since getting a dog back in May, not sure if the two are connected though :whistle:

pawl

Legendary Member
I miss my dog but have put off having another partly for this reason, plus my elderly dad is needing more visits too.
I would feel guilty going out on the bike for three or four hours and leaving a dog in the house, especially a young one.

I'll probably get another when I am getting too decrepit for cycling very far. Lol.

I lost my fourteen year old cocker spaniel a few weeks ago and like you felt guilty about leaving her.As she got older the time she could be left became less.
I do miss her and expect her to come and great me after I have been out.

tom73

Guru
You kind of fail into a routine with a dog. Which since June has inc bike time so like has been said walk them before a ride or ride before walk time. You will find a way it just take's a bit of seeing what works. Saying that it's often us that have been trained.

So this morning it was up , sort out his daily med's , walk dog , a quick feed then out on bike. Evening ride's i've work into time after the dog walk. If Mrs 73 is around she walk's him in the evenings so free's up a bit of time for me. Mrs 73 is working on the dog trailer idea. Our dog is not one for running along as you ride so for short ride's out he'd be happy to lord it up on the back. As for being out for hour's he really is at an age of don't give a monkey's as long as he has one of his bed's at hand he's happy. @Accy cyclist is so right they know what your up to long before you do.

tom73

Guru
I lost my fourteen year old cocker spaniel a few weeks ago and like you felt guilty about leaving her.As she got older the time she could be left became less.
I do miss her and expect her to come and great me after I have been out.

Don't you just I still miss our last dog all these year's on our current one I love to bit's but our last one well he was something special.

Top Bottom