Calling all model kit fans - she's finally done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Yeah, Dragon kit is big but apparently technically incorrect. I did find a chap online who produces 'correction kits' for the wrongly moulded parts. I did buy the Dragon Lunar module at the International Plastic Model Kit show in Telford last year.

I'm now going to attempt the impossible.....(big drum roll)...6 kits simultaneously:ohmy:. They are:

Apollo V, lunar module, command module, USS Enterprise NCC 1701E, the Seaview & Flying Sub. I've got all the paints etc.

The Saturn V is moulded the correct shade of white, which cuts down on painting. I've got all the kits & bits ready for my 'production line' which has been worked out with greater military precision than Accy's bike rides^_^ eg. all black bits on the kits will get painted black at the same time etc, so I hope to have 'em all done by Xmas.

Off to the IPMS again in November, because my final kit (no shelf room left!!) will be:
2001.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
Chinese manufacturer Dragon did a monster 5ft Saturn V kit but it's very hard to get now. They followed it up with a similar one with Skylab which I've seen retailing up to £200. I did have the Revel 1.144 kit which is 77cm tall and the new one is 1.14m, which should look good!. BTW, when opening the box, I thought that some of the rocket body cylinders were missing but they come flat and you need to roll them up!.
The rolling part was what put me off buying one of those.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I was given the Lego Saturn V for christmas. It was great fun to put together, took over a week in total. It's over a metre tall and really well detailed. Lego made sure the parts count was 1969 pieces as well, which was a good touch. Each of the sections realistically come apart and my kids have been fascinated to learn all about the moon landings from it.

IMG_20190509_201209986.jpg

stephec

Legendary Member
The 1/24th Hurricane is a bit long in the tooth now but is one of the better of the old Airfix "Superkits" and is certainly an improvement over the earlier Spitfire kit. This build is looking good and the PE belts and IP are worthwhile additions.
The Spitfire Vb ended up in the bin when I lost patience with it, even the Hurricane is a bit testing, it's got plenty of flash on it. I'm not at home tonight, but if I remember tomorrow I'll get a few photos of it.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Lovely! And massive. But lovely!
Thanks for the kind comments!. I'm trying to fill my house with SF kits, currently working on several. It's the Polar Lights kit, comes in at about 32 inches long, dwarfs the AMT kit!. Not the biggest one you can buy:
USS Enterprise big kit

I understand that 'studio scale' starts at about 48 inches.
Here's some I'd love to have enough shelf-room for:
I do love the Enterprise D, despite how derpy it looks from most angles.
IIRC the original shooting model was so unbalanced they had to film it upside down and retired it after the first season for a smaller version that had fewer issues with structural integrity (and which couldn't separate)

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

I do love the Enterprise D, despite how derpy it looks from most angles.
IIRC the original shooting model was so unbalanced they had to film it upside down and retired it after the first season for a smaller version that had fewer issues with structural integrity (and which couldn't separate)

I also heard that staff at ILM used to complain about getting roped in to lift the 10ft model about!. Of course, there's the famous crash scene from Generations (starts about 15 mins):

Enterprise D crashing

Attachments

• p425_50.jpg
    p425_50.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
Bit of a derailment, but I really miss practical effects shots. I don't want to go so far as to say that CGI has ruined everything but when you read how ILM did seemingly simple stuff like e.g the Enterprise D stretching as it goes to warp, it's really ingenious, ground-breaking stuff that requires in-depth knowledge of how light and cameras work, not to mention the manual compositing and editing processes.

Being able to do stuff like that semi-trivially in software means that special effects are no longer special.

Top Bottom