Calling Boat Experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The boat in the OP looks very like USS Hoga (Pearl Harbor, now in a museum in Arkansas). I gather she has been in Whitby for a few years now, presumably being slowly restored or converted. What bothers me is the bulbous forefoot, there was no point in having one on a tug, and to work it would have to be completely submerged.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Not the USS Hoga, unless heavily modified.
019-Hull-YT142-Plate03.jpg

Last I heard, Hoga was still in mothball fleet in Suisun, Bay, awaiting transfer to Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum..
http://aimmuseum.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suisun_Bay_Reserve_Fleet

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Is this at Parkol Marine's Dock in Whitby? Scuttlebutt I hear is that it was a U.S. Tug from the 1950's, built for the U.S. Navy. The new owners were going to build a luxury explorer yacht out of her.

D

Deleted member 23692

So it's a new build and not a refurb then! Impressive work

snorri

Legendary Member
As above, it's a newbuild based on the 'Charleston' a US Army tug of 1955 later renamed Able Three which had lain in Whitby since the1990s, might still be there.. The story goes that the original tug lay in Whitby waiting conversion until the owner decided to have a new vessel built, larger but on similar lines to the original.
The original did not have a bulbous bow, but the superstructure was very similar.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Looks like a dandy. Some fancy workmanship there. Both on the new build and on the boom tug

Tin Pot

Guru
Are there restrictions on boat naming?

If I had a Tug, I'd call it Jobe.

I'd not really want to own one, but I've wanted to sail in the Med for a while, a Cat ideally.

Cheddar George

oober member
Are there restrictions on boat naming?

If I had a Tug, I'd call it Jobe.

I'd not really want to own one, but I've wanted to sail in the Med for a while, a Cat ideally.

Don't think there are restrictions, there used to be a small fishing boat down this way called the "Isaac Hunt".
Best pronounced with a bristolian accent.

Top Bottom